Chapter 13

Lola's POV

When Aldean walked purposefully towards me after listening to what Dylan had told him, I had no idea what he would say to me.

"Would you like to ride with me?" He asked with an almost expressionless face.

"Uh, I brought my car. I'll just ride behind you guys". I told him, pointing to my Mini Cooper parked at the far end of the parking lot.

As if Dylan had been listening in, he spoke from where he stood.

"Oh my gosh, that's your car. It's so cute. I've always wanted to drive a Mini Cooper since I was in high school but instead, I got a beat up truck. Do you mind me driving it in your stead?"

Before I could respond, he snatched the key from my hand.

I had begun to feel infuriated at how these guests had been making decisions for me.

I was about to call Dylan and give him a gentle but strong scolding when Aldean spoke.

"Mind if I help you with that?" He asked pointing at the briefcase in my hand.

"No thanks, I've got it. Where's Damien? Is he coming with us?" I asked.

"He's speaking with our lawyer about some matters. He came with the lawyer this morning so he'll probably come with to the restaurant. This way".

When we got into the SUV, Aldean inputted the location of the restaurant into his phone and began driving.

"Do you like Chinese?" He asked looking at me for a brief second.

"I do. I especially like dumplings. I had it once when my friend and I eat at a Chinese restaurant. What about you?" I questioned.

"I do too. I've eaten a lot of intercontinental dishes but I specially favour Chinese. Their noodle are the best". He told me.

"Oh my goodness that's right. That's my second favorite Chinese meal".

"That's interesting".  He said.

After a moment's silence, he spoke again.

"How long did you work on your research?"

The twist of the conversation changed the mood in the car.

"I worked on it for about two and half years. I started when I was still in college". I informed him.

"That's really impressive. I mean everything about you is impressive. Frankly speaking, it wasn't until you presented at the boardroom the other day that I knew you were the Williams that did that project. I was totally stunned". He complimented.

I chuckled in response to his commendations. 

"A lot of compliments flying my way today. Thank you Aldean".

I remembered the conversation between Dylan, Damien and I, while we were at the lounge of the law firm. I had invited them to Raven's party and I hadn't invited Aldean.

"Will you be busy this Saturday?" I inquired.

His beautiful brows creased for a moment.