Chapter 10: He Won't Try

"You what?!"

"I...I like Jamie," Rory admitted sheepishly. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you before, but I just...I can't date him."

"Why?" Maddie whined. "You're perfect for each other."

"I don't think he'll try," Rory stated simply.

"Try? You don't think he'll try what?"

"Look at him," Rory sighed. "He's a fantastic pianist. He can play anything. So, why doesn't he try? He has a shot of making lots of money, doing something he loves. Yet, he refuses to try. If he's not going to try with his career, what makes you think he'll try in a relationship?"

Maddie thought for a moment. "I guess I've never considered that...He really just won't try? I feel like there's more to it than him being lazy."

Rory shook her head. "I don't know, because he won't tell me."

—————

The next day.

"Hey, Danny," Maddie smiled.

"Hi," he smiled back. "What can I do for ya?"

"I just wanted to say, again, what a wonderful time I had last night. I feel bad, though, because you did most of the talking. Maybe...I could tell you more about myself on our second date?"

Danny's eyes lit up. "You want to go on a second date?"

"I mean, yeah...if you want to."

He wasn't sure until now, but this was definitely what he wanted. He quickly replied, "Yes, yes, of course," hoping he didn't sound too eager.

Maddie smiled. "I was thinking we could go stargazing. I've always thought it was a fun activity and I think it'd be even better with two of us."

"I guess it could be fun," Danny shrugged. "I was actually hoping to take you to this great Mexican restaurant that opened up a month ago. There's a park close by. We could eat and then go stargazing there."

"That sounds wonderful," Maddie beamed.

Danny nodded with a smile.

—————

Maddie poured a cup of coffee and sat down on the couch next to Rory. "So," she sighed, "Have you talked to Jamie?"

"No," Rory moaned, "and I'm not going to."

"Ror, come on. At least ask Jamie why he won't look into piano as a career. Maybe there's a real reason."

"Maddie, we've been over this," Rory sighed.

"We have?" Maddie questioned, raising an eyebrow. "Refresh my memory."

"I've talked to him before. He doesn't give me a real reason. He says that he just doesn't want to."

Maddie frowned. "That can't be the real reason."

"Well, I'm not going to push him," Rory shrugged. "If he wants to tell me, he will. If he doesn't, then he won't. I don't care either way. Even if we did date, it would never work out. I have plans to be a ballerina at the Garnier. Getting there won't be easy and I'm going to need to devote a lot of time to my dancing if I'm going to make it."

"Well," Maddie shrugged, "I think you're wrong. If you think that dating Jamie is a bad idea, though, then I have to respect that."

Rory nodded. "So..."

"So..."

"I think we've exhausted that topic. Movie?"

"Sure," Maddie shrugged