21

THE NEXT day was the day that they get to find out the child's gender, of course there was decision making on how they were going to keep Steve from getting compromised while going with her to the hospital. The two walked in and talked to the person at the front desk, Melina telling her she had an appointment. They were led to the NICU part of the hospital. They were both really nervous for the sonogram.

"What do you think it's gonna be?" Steve asked.

"I'm not sure. Hopefully a boy." She said, walking into the room for the sonogram.

"I'm hoping it's a girl." He smirked.

"I'm fine with either honestly." She replied, before laying down on a hospital bed. The doctor rubbed something on her stomach and they began to see the baby.

"Are you guys excited?" The doctor asked, smiling at the two as he looked at the screen.

"Yes." The two said in unison.

"As I can see, you actually have two babies." The doctor said, showing the two.

"Oh shit." Melina said in a frightened manner.

"Language sweetheart." Steve lightly chastised, but couldn't help but also feel shocked.

"And the genders?" She asked, changing the subject.

"Well, this one appears to be a boy, and the other is.......... A girl. Congratulations."

Melina didn't really know how to react, other than stare at the screen.
"May I have a couple pictures of the sonogram?" She asked, and the doctor nodded, shortly leaving the room to get them printed.

Steve couldn't believe it as he stared into space, he was going to be a father. Twice. An overwhelming happiness flooded through him, "I'm gonna be a dad."

Melina was left speechless, since she thought that she was only expecting one child.

Steve noticed her silence and worriedly glanced at her, "Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm just a bit shocked. That's all." She told him, holding his hand.
She was still scared of Steve leaving her. If he left, she'd be a single mom of two newborns.

~

Steve and Mel were sitting on the couch, looking at the pictures of their twins after getting home from the appointment at the hospital.

"You think Lydia would be surprised?" Steve asked.

"Yes, and very happy." She said, laying down on her bed. Each day was different more difficult for her.

Then, without warning, the door opens and in walks Shiela, who closes the door behind her.

"So, work has been good, I was on my way back when I saw this really cute guy." Shiela went off to the kitchen area, not noticing there was another person sitting next to Mel, who shared baffled looks with Steve, as she went on and on about this guy she saw.

"Okay, did you get his number?" Melina asked with a laugh.

"No, but I wish I did." She replied, still not noticing Steve as she went around the kitchen. "But one day I will." She added cheekily.

"I see." She simply replied.

"But enough about me," Shiela walked out of the kitchen, "How is your day? Did you find out the baby's gender?" She had a mug of coffee in hand, still unaware of someone else in the room.

"It was pretty good. Yeah, I'm having twins. A boy and a girl." She said happily.

Shiela lit up and went to congratulate her, when she turned and finally took notice of another person in the room and froze as she stared. Steve just sat there with an amused smirk on his face.