Chapter 9

KATE'S P.O.V

I rushed to set up the room for me and Connor with the children once we arrived at the orpahanage.  I have no time to study Toby's awful gestures whatsoever.  I wanted this to be done, and come back home to the camp.  So tired of this drama.  I don't know what to believe anymore.

"Good morning!"  I surprised the children by popping up my head on the door.

"Aww!"  They're all cheering.

"Hello guys, how you doing?"  I sit on the carpet then soon some children came after me, asking for hugs.

"Ka...te...lin..."  One of these girls tried to spell my nametag.

"Yes, Katelin.  My name is Katelin, but you can call me Kate."  I kissed her cheek.  "What are you up to?"

"Playing Barbie!"  This little girl answered me again.

"Cool!  May I join you?"  I sit with her on my lap right now and she nodded.  "What's your name, sweety?"

"Shireen!"  She yelled.

"Oops, what's going on right here?"  Connor showed up with a guitar.  He glared at me that way but I signed him to shrug it off first.

"We're playing, Connor!"  I shouted like a little girl.

"Well, I want to join!"  Connor took a seat by my right.  Soon he got the attention from those lovely little boys.

"My name is Logan!"  A boy shook Connor's hand.  I laughed at it.  He acted like a big boss with Connor.

"Hello Logan, nice meeting you.  My name is Connor."  Connor smiled at Logan then unloaded the guitar from its case.

"Connow?"  Logan tried to spell.

"Hahaha!"  I burst out laughed.  "It's Connor, sweetheart."

"So hard..."  Logan pouted.

"Let's see...  What about Connie?  Sounds good?"  Connor asked.

"Connie!  Connie!"  Other boys were yelling his name.

"Good luck."  I winked and smirked at Connor.  He rolled his eyes on me.

"So...  I want to ask you to sing along with me.  Can you?"  Connor ruled the group so I just stayed by his side, having these girls around me.

"I can't sing, Connie!  Kate, help!"  Shireen begged.

"I can't either!  Let's just clap along, okay?"  I pinched her nose.

"Yay!"  She cheered.

"What's to sing first, Connie?"  I looked at Connor.

"What about Twinkle Twinkle Little Star?"  Connor strummed his guitar.  No, my guitar actually.

"Sure!"  The group said in unison.

Then Connor started strumming the guitar and we sang along with this bunch of little children.  I was enjoying this moment.  I sit with Shireen on my right, and Logan on my left.  I think that this is the perfect partnership between me and Connor, because we both love children so much.  I saw the way Connor handled them.  Being the only child, I've always wanted a sister or brother.  That's why I signed myself to the camp.  Because I know what we're gonna do.  Like today.

While we're singing and clapping along with the children, I saw Toby and Thomas ran back and forth outside, passing our room.  The door was opened, so I can see them.  Toby glared at me all the time.  There's this one time while he sit on the floor across the room, faced himself straight on me.  I felt dysfunctional.  Really.  His glare is the sharpest thing ever.  I'm nervous, my stomach is upside down, and sometimes lose self-control.