Chapter 18

KATE'S P.O.V

Hey Toby,

I'm sorry I didn't call you when the camp's done.  I think you're busy.  Well you're on my TV once or twice.  And it's always good to see you having fun on stage.

But now I'm already in New York again.  Back again with Mom.  How's your life anyway?

Baby, I miss Dad so much.  And I kinda miss you too.  This is all too heavy for me.  But I can't be so selfish about it, right?

I try to not too often looking at your photos.  I'm afraid that I'm gonna feel like it's enough.  Just like you said before.  Instead, I do the opposite with Dad's photo.  I can slowly get over it.  I have calming days.  But I miss you.  Oh, sorry, I've told you twice in a minute.

So I think...phone me when the roadshow's done?  I'm looking forward.

Love,

Kate.

"Sweety, you there?  The taxi's here!"  Mom yelled from downstairs.

"Alright Mom, coming!"

I rushed to send the email and closed my laptop, put it on my bag, and ran downstairs.  I saw some guys helping us to bring the big cases to the truck.  I took a breathe and studied every single detail on this house.  I'll not coming back here anymore.  Not to live in this house anymore.  Until next time, New York.

"Take care Kate, let me know if you're arrive."  Mom kissed and hugged me.

"Alright, you too, stay safe.  Meet you in a week."  I squeezed her in my arms.

The cab drove me back to the airport.  I don't know, this should be fun.  I'm gonna be at the city as Toby and Shania.  And the rest of them too.  But none of them have known about this yet.  Maybe later.

Hello again, Florida.  I always love this city.  I took off my jacket, put it on my waist, leaving only the tank and jeans on.  I soon called Mark, Danny's friend.  He's a cop too.  So since this is Orlando, I'm allowed to drive already.  Mark will take care of my license.  I'm gonna need it for Mom.

"This is your car, but I'm gonna drive first.  I bet you're tired."  Mark kissed my cheek at the airport carpark.

"You tell me."  I rolled my eyes.  "Thanks."

"Why do you disagree about the auction?"  Mark started the conversation.

"Well, let's see.  That's what's left from my Dad.  I can't waste it like that."  I bowed my head.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah.  I just...  It's in here again, the picture and everything."  I pointed to my head.

"Your Dad?"  Mark looked at me.

"And the gun on his hand..."  I sighed.  "Alright I'm sorry."

"Hey that's fine.  You're 16, and he's your father.  It's normal to have a trauma."

"Thanks Mark.  I guess I just wanna live closer to him.  To his grave, to his life that he once had, to his room, coffee maker, his guitar, everything.  It's a reminder that he actually loved me."

"You're wrong. He still loves you."  Mark smiled.

"Right."  I nodded.

"So, enough with the heavy stuff.  I've asked my sister, she's the interior designer, to redesign your house.  It was a bit mess when we tried to search the evidence.  So yeah, I take the responsible to make it look even better than before."  Mark laughed so loud.