VII

BULLETS LIKE RAIN!

BULLETS LIKE RAIN!

       Droplets of rain stained her jacket as Jamey Harris walked alone towards Gimbel Brothers late at night- well, not completely alone. To the unknowing eye, it would appear that a shivering teenage girl was walking unattended in the nighttime showers, but Jamey's shadow kept a quick pace behind her, looming when she walked under street lamps.

       Jamey had never lived alone. All her life she had been trailed by a silhouette with a mind of its own. No matter the emptiest room, the quietest forest, or the most desolate cave, she was always accompanied by an outline of herself. Even in her most vacant, numb slumber, she was still haunted by her powers. Her fingernail trapped pity in a circle.

       The soaked girl reached inside a pocket of her jacket and pulled out a small slip of paper. Quick, blocky writing in the center.

                      Gimbel Brothers. 8:00.

- Number Five

She reread it over and over again until her eyes hurt. That stupid boy was giving her a run for her money, pulling her every which way. She had to admit, it was somewhat entertaining, though. All her past jobs had been the same old cookie cutter procedure: locate and terminate. No possible room for fuck-ups, bland and mind-numbing, on the flip side, stress free and simple.

       This job however, was anything but. She should have know that taking down someone like Five wasn't going to be a one-and-done, for he was far too intelligent. A change in pace was beneficial in some careers, but in a job as sadistic as an assassin's, change was scary. Especially with her family's memories slipping farther and farther away with each passing hour. And boy, was she scared.

       The parking lot was bare, droplets in the curves of the pavement, collecting water in tiny puddles, Five standing under the overhang of the department store. Waiting and watching.

       "You better have my gun, Number Five. I'm done playing your stupid games," Jamey said when she came face to face with the enemy. It was only when she stood up straight did she realize she was taller than him. Only by a couple inches, but it counted.

       "What's with the formalities, JJ?," he spoke smoothly. "Call me Five." A scowl appeared on her rosy lips, eyes sharp and cold. Five only grinned devilishly. She was adorable when she was pissed. "After this favor you'll get it back. I promise."

          "I better."

       A flash of blue energy surround him as he jumped from the sidewalk to the store entrance. Jamey rolled her eyes when he started waving at her to follow, her shadow slipping underneath the glass double doors and pulling them apart with a swoosh!