Chapter Two

ONE YEAR LATER

Los Santos is not a forgiving town, neither are debt collectors. As if armed with the noses of bloodhounds that can smell debt and misfortune, they attacked like rabid beasts, demanding me to make my payments. I've been to court on three separate occasions over these issues, and was eventually forced to sell my mom's house to settle everything. All I had were my clothes, some personal items, and a pocket full of change. I sold my junk car and personal belongings in order to eat. I did what I had to do to survive. I wasn't ashamed of that.

I met my friend Davis not long after I became homeless. He found me sleeping behind a dumpster he was searching outside of Sub Urban on Hawick Avenue. He helped me get my footing, showed me how to make it in the streets without resorting to prostitution, and he walked me all the way back to where he and his friends were staying. It was a small homeless community on Strawberry Avenue.

It was easy at first. Everyone was nice and welcoming, all curious to what my story was. We eventually had to deal with the Ballas and the Families gangs, who often shot up the streets or wrecked havoc in our little community. I eventually lost my jobs due to my poor hygiene, making it harder for me to have money to eat. I eventually was forced to take drastic measures in order to survive. Very drastic measures.

My lungs burned as I bolted through the alleys and hurdled myself over walls. The backpack that rested on my back weighed at least twenty pounds, but I refused to lighten the load. This bag meant survival for not just me, but my entire camp. "STOP!" The cop shouted as he continued to chase me. "SUSPECT IS ON FOOT HEADED EAST ON INNOCENCE BOULEVARD! OFFICER IN PERSUIT!" When I finally got out of the officer's eyesight, I quickly jumped into a nearby dumpster and remained silent as I heard the officer run past me. Once I felt the coast was clear, I carefully climbed out and made my way back to camp where everyone cheered at my arrival.

"What took you so long?" Davis asked as he helped me take the backpack off.

"I went for a little run." I smirked.

"How many cops this time?"

"Just the one. The fucker was fast, but even with this heavy ass bag on me, I was faster."

"Glad to hear it." Davis smiled. "Did you get everything?"

"All I could carry, Alta should be here in a minute with the rest in the van. Plan went off without a hitch. I tricked the attendant into the bathroom and barricaded him inside, let Alta in through the back, and we cleaned the entire place out."

"So, what got you busted?"

"The cop decided to stop me on my way down the road. Said he saw a rather empty convenient store down the way and wanted to know if I saw anything, so I ran. Hid in a dumpster."

"She should've been back by now." Bay complained over by the fire pit.

"She knew the risks when we went in on this, Bay. I took the main necessities and she took the extras."

"What extras? What do you consider extras, Chels?"

"Things that aren't necessary. Cigarettes, alcohol, novelty bullshit you find at jank ass gas stations, that type of shit."

"Any food?"

"Just what I couldn't fit in my bag. I grabbed what was on the list, the cash, and whatever else I could fit into my bag and pockets. We did everything right. If she gets busted, at least she'll have a bed and she won't go hungry for God knows how long. Shit, you remember Plucky, right? I went to pick him up when he was supposed to be released and, come to find out, he popped a guard upside the head just so he could stay longer."