Chapter Twenty Three

My eyes slowly fluttered open, and I was in instant regret. The bright sunlight bleeding through the window gave me an instant headache. My irritation quickly turned to confusion...the bedroom didn't have a window. I looked down at myself to see a small blanket had been draped over me and that I was lying on the couch. Everything slowly came back to me. Trevor and I talked...like actually talked like civilized people...like we actually gave a damn about each other. I gagged at the taste of stale whiskey and bile in my mouth and rushed to the bathroom and threw up into my freshly cleaned toilet, though I refused to touch it since I knew Trevor most likely used it since. Once finished, I brushed my teeth and made my way back into the living room area.

"Trevor?" I called out, but got no answer, not that I had expected one anyways. On the counter sat a bottle of Ache-Be-Gone and a note.

Ron will take u 2 work - T

I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge, took a few pills, warmed up a schnitzel from the night before, and made my way over to Ron's. I gently knocked on the door but got no answer. I knocked once more, but there was still no answer. Getting frustrated, I knocked even harder. A loud thud and scrambling noises echoed from the other side of the door and the blinds slightly bent, just enough to see two paranoid eyes looking out at me.

"Oh!" Ron sighed with relief and rushed over to the door to unlock it. Click...click...click...click...click-side-click...slide. Ron gave me a smile as the door finally opened. "It's just you."

"Yeah...what's with the locks?" I chuckled.

"Oh...yeah...they're uh...to keep me safe."

"Oookay...do you feel like you're in danger?"

"Well, yeah, we're all in danger. Not because of you, but because of the government. They're watching us."

"Uh-huh...well, I need to get to work now."

"Trevor left his truck, wants me to take the four-wheeler back." Ron shut the door behind him and locked it tight before motioning for me to follow him towards the truck. Once inside, he sped off down the dirt road. "So...are you excited for your first day?"

"I'm just excited to get out of that place," I admitted. "You can only take so much cleaning before you go insane."

"Well, I hope you like it. Like I said, he's not a bad guy once you get to know him. Plus, this job he's giving you isn't too demanding, so it won't be hard."

"Anything to keep The Lost's hands off of me, right?"

"That's right." The truck fell silent.

"Did Trevor say anything to you?"

"About what?"

"About anything that happened last night?"

"No, why?"

"Nothing...we just ended up having a...well, civilized night. We talked, we drank, I fell asleep on his couch, and when I woke up, he was gone."

"Really?" Ron looked at me quizzically. "What did you talk about?"

"Just stuff."

"Stuff?"

"Yeah...I had a bad dream about a friend and he calmed me down."

"So...you're saying that he's really not a bad guy like I told you he wasn't?"

"I'm starting to wonder that, myself." I slightly smirked. Ron pulled into a small parking lot, taking up three parking spaces. The building was completely run down and deserted, all except for a four-wheeler that sat off to the side of the property.