Epilogue

I watched the twins as Valor taught them basic combat skills now that they had reached their tenth birthday and were old enough to begin training.

Avalyn has just been here, but she almost always managed to disappear somehow and the sun was getting low in the sky. Because she was first in line to be leader of the coven and pack, her training and studies began years  as soon as she could talk.

She was insanely smart, sometimes too much for her own good. She was almost a teenager and her curiosity often took reign. She was quiet and thinking most of the time, very different than her rambunctious younger sisters.

I could smell her scent, earthy with a hint of gardenia.

I followed her scent, walking into the trees to see her. I watched her as her long dark hair swayed behind her, her large brown eyes tinted red as she focused on the hunt.

I'd never allowed her to hunt alone, and yet here she was, doing it with ease, as if she'd done it before. She removed her shoes as she neared a buck, crouching low as she took calculated steps forward.

I grinned when she lunged, making the kill in seconds.

I revealed myself, waiting for her to realize my presence as she began to feed.

I cleared my throat and she nearly flew out of her own skin.

"Mom!" She hissed, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand.

"Next time listen for me coming." I told her with a grin.

"Are you going to tell Dad?" She asked, her brows furrowing.

"No, I'll join you until I think you're okay to hunt alone. If I were anyone else you'd have been dead." I told her.

She nodded quickly.

"Why don't you like to hunt in the day with your sisters and father?" I asked her.

She shrugged and I noticed the small notebook in her front pocket, her hand gripping it as she tried her best to hide it.

"I like being out at night. Especially when the moon is out. I don't know, it just makes me feel good." She said, staring up at the sky that had now grown dark and a full moon hung low in the sky.

I walked ahead of her, listening as she put her shoes on.

I heard her mumble something and I turned, my wolf peeking up at the words.

"What did you say?" I asked.

"Nothing, just something I read once." She mumbled quickly as she ran forward and I watched her as she made for the house.

I knew exactly what she said and it left me unnerved.

Lunam per.

By the moon.