Chapter 37

A Faceless Portrait

When the messenger eunuch heard these words, he was practically scared out of his wits, and he hurriedly kowtowed and apologized, “Your Majesty, forgive this slave. Your Majesty, forgive this slave. This slave…… This slave……”

“Scram. Don’t appear in front of Zhen again,” Shao Qian coldly spoke.

When the messenger eunuch heard his words, he became deathly pale. “Don’t ever appear before His Majesty again” With this, his future had immediately been decided. He had originally wanted to flatter and fawn over His Majesty, and had never intended to hit the horse’s leg. [1] How could he be so foolish as to think that he could replace the little eunuch that had grown up together with His Majesty?

Shao Qian called for a guard to immediately throw the messenger eunuch out, before calling Xi Fu to his side and telling him, “You can’t act this way from now on. You are Zhen’s Little DaiGua, so how can you allow others to bully you?”

“But…… But, this servant doesn’t…… doesn’t know how to rebut others,” Xi Fu stammered. He was a well-behaved child, and as if they were pasted together with glue, his lips refused to open. How would he be able to talk back to others?

“Just directly say it. This lord wanted to do it, so how is it any of your concern?” Shao Qian patted Xi Fu’s arm, looking at him encouragingly.

“…” Xi Fu’s head spun in two circles, before saying with a long face, “Master, I’m a eunuch.”

Who ever saw a eunuch that addresses himself as lord? At least, I have never seen one.

Xi Fu rendered Shao Qian speechless. At this very moment, was he not refuting him?

“Then use ‘I’ [2].” Didn’t a lot of eunuchs in TV dramas seem to speak this way? Shao Qian hadn’t watched television in a very long time already, and couldn’t remember too clearly.

“Oh.” Although Xi Fu merely had a hazy notion, he nodded his head.

“From now on, other than me, no one else can scold you. If anyone scolds you, return it back. Don’t be scared, I’ll support you.” Shao Qian got up and heroically patted Xi Fu’s shoulder, proclaiming, “From now on, I am the Emperor, and you are my steward. Your imposing manner cannot be weak.”

“Oh.” When Xi Fu heard Shao Qian’s words, he was moved, his eyes filling with tears. However, he wasn’t moved because his master said that he would be the person in charge, but rather, it was because his words made him feel as though he was needed. He was trusted by his master, and able to share his master’s burdens.

Shao Qian, along with Xi Fu, stayed in the Imperial Garden for nearly an hour before leaving. After he left, his actions were very quickly reported to the regent.

The regent, who was half-lying on the soft couch, gave a snort of contempt upon hearing the hidden guard repeat what Shao Qian said. He was only a child whose hair hasn’t even grown, and he could actually still think of supporting others?

“Continue. If Helian Yi Xuan makes any other movements, immediately report to me.” Helian Jing Qi allowed the person to withdraw before getting up and entering the inner room. He walked to the wall and opened a secret door, entering the hidden chamber.

However, this place didn’t have any rare treasures or a important military secrets, but rather, the walls were packed with portraits. One piece after another, none of the portraits had faces.

There were numerous portraits and countless poses—the person in the portrait could be sitting, laying down, or gazing—but it wasn’t difficult to tell that the person within the portrait was always the same. Most of the time, the person in the portrait would wear a neat, short gown. There were only a few pieces that depicted him standing imposingly while wearing thick and heavy Chinese clothing. His head of black hair was braided and hung behind him, there were diamond-shaped decorations hung on his forehead, and his body was bundled up within the layers and layers of Chinese clothing. The only regrettable imperfection would be that absolutely empty face.