20 - Of Guy and Mice

Guy looked out the window at the airport at a white wide body airship with the royal Mouse family's shield on the side. 'I guess that's ours.' he said.

He had booked ordinary tickets to Mami's home world because she didn't like the fuss surrounding royalty, but as soon as the girls and Guy arrived at the airport they were directed to another lounge and notified they were going on a different flight. They were served drinks and snacks while they had to wait for the airship to get ready.

'As long as we can have this, I don't mind waiting a bit more.' said Cani and took another bite out of a big piece of cherry cake.

Mami eyed the two men in black suits who stood outside the lounge entrance. 'This is why I don't like the fuss.' she said. 'I feel I can't be myself when they keep an eye on us.'

Guy nodded. 'Yeah, I wonder how it'll be while we're with your family.' he said and chuckled once. 'I'm sure they'll disapprove of me when we act like we do at home.'

'You're not the only one they'll disapprove of.' Mami said and put her hand on his arm. 'But I don't care. We're going back to our own home when we're done there.'

Guy smiled and put his hand on hers. 'And nobody is going to take that away from us.' he said. 'From our own family.'

A little later three mouse flight attendants came up to them to let them know they could board the airship. They carried the hand luggage while they escorted everyone to the covered walkway that led to the ship.

There they were led to a spacious cabin with couches and low tables in white and light grey colours, and a view from full height windows on the side. The captain introduced himself and laid out the flight in a few words. When he left another attendant came up and took orders for drinks and left a menu for later.

Guy looked around at the simple interior with just a few pictures of landscapes on the walls. 'In stories of old times royalty always surrounded themselves with many ornamental things.' he said. 'Quite the opposite of this.'

'We don't have a taste for things like that.' Mami said. 'I guess it's because in our nature we try to keep a relaxed environment. Simple colours, few distractions that draw our attention.'

Feli nodded. 'I can imagine when you think about how you evolved from a prey species.' she said. 'Any movement and change around you might indicate danger.'

'Luckily we can distract dangers with other things nowadays.' Mami said, watching Cani lick her lips when she got another large piece of cake.

Cani looked back at the others chuckling and watching her. 'What?'

The girls and Guy spent the time on the trip by reading, some writing, a couple of movies and a relaxing nap after they had lunch with a wide selection of Mouse specialities. By the time they arrived at their destination they felt refreshed and ready to meet the family.

A stretched van awaited them on the landing field and after clearing a few formalities they got in and were driven to the royal palace escorted by security in two cars.

The drive took them into the heart of the city and what struck them was the wide variety in the heights of buildings. Buildings up to a dozen storeys were mixed with others down to a single storey and some had walkways between them. There was no pattern to be detected.

'Yes, yes, I've seen the similarity with the elaborate mazes some pet mice get from their owners.' Mami said when Ara pointed out the window and grinned at her.

'For a species that likes simple interiors, the city is quite chaotic.' Ara said.

'Our species likes to walk around.' said Mami. 'Most engage in a firm walk daily, which led to many paths going through the city to keep it interesting.'