Chapter 3

You woke and dressed early for a Sunday the next morning and headed downstairs to find, or more likely make, breakfast. You didn't have a kitchen as part of your suite, so you had to use the big communal one on the first floor. You didn't mind, though. You didn't have to cook much anyway, since the housekeeper usually did that for the team.

Tony also said he owed you, so that usually meant he was going to take you to the bookstore, and regret it when you came out with all of the books. He always groaned and made a fuss about it, but he could buy the entire bookstore if he felt like it. It wasn't like he was hurting for money since he was one of the richest men in the world. So you had something fun to look forward to on your Sunday.

You brought you book downstairs with you so you could read it until Tony got up, or until you got bored enough waiting and went to wake him so he didn't waste the entire day sleeping. He tended to either sleep never or for days straight. It depended on how much he was working in the lab

When you reached the bottom of the stairs, you set your book next to you usual spot in the huge common room where you all hung out, especially the younger supers. You rarely saw the original Avengers and the older members except your uncle, of course. They were too busy off on various missions.

You looked up when you heard a slight noise, finally realizing that you weren't alone in the room. Usually you were on Sunday mornings, so you hadn't even thought to check the room for occupants. The supers all slept in after staying up late on Saturday nights patrolling. Your fear spiked for a moment until you saw the figure was sitting in one of the comfy chairs. And disappeared completely when you recognized that it was Loki.

Most people wouldn't be relieved to see a former super villain in their living room, but then you weren't exactly normal.

Loki was sitting in one of the comfy chairs in the living room. He was still chained, but was now wearing jeans and a black T-shirt instead of his pajamas from the night before. "Good morning," you told him brightly, standing up all the way after placing your book carefully on your end table. He looked up from the book you had lent him. He had seemed enraptured in it, at least enough not to notice you had entered the room. You also noticed that he was nearly done with the book.

"Good morning, Lady Stark," he replied. He seemed wary, as if unsure why you were talking to him. Unsure if this was a trick.

"You're up early," you commented easily. He shrugged.

"As you mentioned last night, I require less sleep than humans," he replied, his accent was still lovely. His tone was guarded, but he seemed open to communication at least.

"I was going to make some breakfast. Have you eaten yet?" you asked him. Food could win over any super, you knew that from experience. He shook his head. You smiled even more brightly at him. "I'll make you some too, then," you told him and left the room before he could splutter a protest that he was perfectly capable of feeding himself and didn't need a little human girl to take care of him. You ignored his protests and went to work making the pair of you breakfast. It was simple eggs and bacon, but still, the thought counted. He came into the kitchen while you were working. He tried to be quiet, but he couldn't sneak up on anyone because of the the chains.

"Why are you doing this?" he asked, seeming genuinely confused.

"Because we need to eat?" you replied logically, and not really what he was asking.

He gave you a look. "No, why are you being...kind to me? You are aware of my past. Your uncle has warned you away from me. No one else here will trust me. Why you?"

You turned to face him after you had plated your breakfasts, leaving enough in the pans for Tony when he got up. You carried the plates to the dining room just off the kitchen, before you answered. He followed you without a word, waiting for your reply. He had tried to step in to help, but you shook his offer off. His wrists were shackled; you didn't need him dropping his breakfast. You set both plates on one of the tables and got silverware from a nearby drawer.