Chapter 38: Hardening Ability

Your Point of View

We went back to our Headquarters in Stohess district where Jean, Armin, Mikasa, and Eren are currently staying ever since we captured the Female Titan.

They had no idea about what happened to the trial or what happened to me. Even those who weren't associated with the battle in Stohess. They're totally clueless about me.

Erwin told me that this wasn't the right time to explain everything further to them. The perfect timing to tell them, according to him, isn't today.

I understand him, though. There is every reason for him to be doubtful and have trust issues to everyone, because we still don't know who among us still hides inside our cages.

We also still don't know what the enemies wanted from Eren, and if there's anyone who was helping Annie to accomplish her evil plans.

Maybe Erwin thought I might be their next target, that is why he chose to keep me behind the curtains.

But of course, that doesn't stop me from serving my branch. I still continued my duty as a soldier in the Survey Corps, just like what Darius instructed me to.

How I wish Eric was still here, now that I needed him the most.

But what was done cannot be changed. I've got no choice but to take care of my precious life Eric sacrificed for me.

My lips curved into a bitter smile. I don't give a damn if I look like an idiot here smiling while I'm on my horse.

"What's with the face, Abnormal?" Though I wasn't looking, I already knew whose voice was that.

Uhh, seriously, there is only one person I know that would call me that name.

Levi, who is sitting on a wagon because he is still injured remarked my sudden expression.

Why does he have to notice that? Don't tell me he was looking at me all this time, that was why he acknowledged.

I secretly rolled my eyes so he won't see it. "Sorry, Captain."

I decided to chill. Arguing with this man again would be pointless. I'll just simply shut it before this gets to any more bigger.

"Don't call me Captain." He said in a monotonous voice.

My eyebrows knitted. What is his problem? He should've just ignored me. I wasn't doing anything wrong!

"Whatever."

We finally arrived to our destination. Everyone didn't even bother to get down from their horses.

Sure, why would we, though? We only went here to pick up our comrades. We were tasked to patrol around the walls because a news reported that Wall Rose has been breached, and we've got to find wherever that hole is.

Suddenly, Levi pulled my wrist, making my horse and I startle.

What the fuck? Did he even realize that I was on my horse to pull me like that? I've got no other choice again but to follow him since he was stronger than I do.

"Where the hell do you plan to put me?!" I cussed out at him, pulling my wrist from his hands.

"Anywhere I won't be able to lose sight of you." Judging by his tone, he really seemed to be serious.

Oh, I almost forgot. He took responsibility of me, that is why I must uh, what's the accurate word? Cling?

I realized he dragged me where Eren and his friends are at.

Hanji and someone who must be a priest are just ahead of us, probably going to same place.

"Sorry for making you wait!" Hanji told the three guys.

"Took a while longer to prepare than we thought!" She waved her left hand and placed her right one on the priest's shoulder.

We sat down on the wagon. Heck, Levi should've just made me ride on my horse rather than putting me here.

"Um... Isn't this a priest from the Order of the Walls?" Armin asked.

I thought the same. Why would Hanji let someone that is irrelevant here?

"You're right! Nick and I are best buddies." They continued chatting about why the priest was with us.

Hanji told us that this priest, Nick, knew something about the Titan inside the wall that appeared in Stohess and other shits along that line.

Levi threatened him to make the man talk, but eventually failed. According to Hanji, she also tried the same tactic but it didn't work on this guy. He was willing to die just to protect the information.

They also discussed about the extraordinary rock that Hanji found when Annie locked herself up in a crystal. It didn't dissolve or evaporate. She said that she compared the substance to the components of the wall, and discovered that they were practically identical.

They come up to the plan for Eren to seal the broken wall himself, as a Titan using the hardening ability. Levi told him we've got no choice, so we have to rely on him even though we don't know if his Titan can harden or not, which Eren agreed in the end.

"That is too risky for Eren to do." Mikasa budged in.

"We're running out of options, brat. For now, that we can do is to believe in him." Levi tried to convince her.

"What if (y/n) does it? Her Titan looked so similar to Annie, and she even managed to beat her. It's safe to assume that they also have the same abilites. It is more probable to use her because she has hardening abilities as well."

They all turned to my direction as if they're waiting any answers from me. Congratulations Mikasa, you succeed in stealing the spotlight from Eren.

Overprotective. She doesn't want Eren to be hurt that is why she tried to find a way to get him away from death.

"If I can help, I will. But you see, Erwin ordered me to stay behind the curtains. I can't give you what I have for now." I excused myself.

Whoa, look how obedient I was. I considered Erwin's words and shut their mouths close.

"DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, I'LL ASK FOR ERWIN'S PERMISSION IMMEDIATELY! SO, YOU WILL DO IT OR NOT?!" Hanji held my both arms and leaned closer to my face though we're two seats apart.

She's getting overwhelmed with excitement again, it's no surprise.

"That's fine with me, as long as you'll remove your hands from her arms." Instead of me answering her, Levi was the one to speak for me.

"Really, Levi? And who told you that you can decide for (y/n)?" Hanji questioned him.

She's right though, why is Levi deciding for me? He's not my dad.

"I took responsibility of her, can't you remember or you just let your stupidity get inside you?" Just like that and Levi will insult you. What a gentleman, huh.

I understand why he needs to do that, but why does he seem so overprotective for me?

"But since Eric is gone...will you let me be the one to protect you now?"

What that the reason why? He wants to be Eric's replacement, so he's acting like that?

Hanji's lips curved. "Oh, I almost forgot about that, forgive me, will you...? Still, don't worry about (y/n) that much. I assure you that I'll take care of your girl."