Welcome -2-

Waiting at the saloon, I kept glancing towards the door, even if I didn't hear anyone enter. Eventually, he came. The door clattered open. I sat with a whiskey in my hand, while I stared at him walking towards me. The sound of his boots echoed with the soft piano playing in the background as he sat down beside me.

"So, Lilly. Dutch has left it to me to see if you're trustworthy and can join our family. Tell me why I should trust you."

His eyes stared directly into my soul. Those kind eyes. Eyes that didn't look like they belonged to a killer. They belonged to a man who had to do shit to survive, and had a shitty life to begin with. Eyes that held sadness.

I went to open my mouth,
"Well, I know about one of my daddy's strongholds near here where he holds a good chunk of cash. In two weeks, the new guys get transferred there. Take me with you, tied up on your horse if you feel more comfortable, and take the cash. If you find that I wasn't lying and you make a profit you deem worthy, add me to your family. I think I'd be a nice addition."
I smiled throughout it. Hoping, praying, that he could see how genuine I was trying to be with him. I wanted him to trust me, no. I needed him to trust me. The bartender slid him a beer.

He took a swig and contemplated the offer. He probably thought about the possibility of a trap, and hopefully ruled it out since I offered to be tied up.

He lightly threw a dollar or two down, paying for both of our drinks.

"Fine. Come on."

I followed him outside, hopped on my horse, and followed him. Back to their hideout. It was a place called Shady Belle. Upon entering I heard some man yell about who was there, Arthur just yelled,
"It's me ya old coot."

Within minutes everyone gathered around me. Mostly adults, with the exception of a small boy. He seemed eager to meet me, despite the danger that emanated around me in the situation of a stranger in their home.

A man with slicked back black hair and a mustache walked through the crowd.

"Everyone, everyone. This here is Lillian Cornwall. She's gonna be joining our little family for a while."
His voice was calm and collected, much different than the look he seemed to have hidden deep in his eyes. Country, but not to a large degree. Persuasion laced within each word he spoke. It made his words seem coated in oil. Slipped through his mouth and through the mind of those around him.

Everyone started chattering due to the name.

I decided to speak up for myself,

"Just call me Lillian McMurphy. The name I had before the bastard took me in." 

I don't care how nice he is at times, that bastard still owes me for what he did.

They slowly calmed down, waiting for someone to speak up first. Arthur thankfully was that someone.

"Now, now. Don't get y'alls knickers in a twist. Lilly's nice company. She seems trustworthy."

An Irish man walked forward, reeking of alcohol.
"Eyy, Mcmurhpy you say? I knew a few McMurphys back in the day. In Jonesborough."

I ran towards him, lightly startling the men of the group.

"What?! You knew my family? Please tell me more!"

The man, whose name you learnt was Sean, continued. 
"Yeah! Love them! Sorry to hear about what happened. Ma father was good friends with them. Meet me later and we can discuss it."

You nodded and muttered a 'thanks' before going back to the rest of the group. An old man named Hosea walked towards you,

"Well, If Arthur trusts you, then I do too." He held his hand out and I shook it.