Chapter Three

It was Saturday afternoon. The ball was today. I was sitting in history class, learning about the history of our kingdom. We were forced to attend school six days a week. We didn't get Saturdays off.

We use to get saturdays off, until a new law was made saying we had to attend school six days a week. I wouldn't be surprised if they made us go to school on Sundays next.

I was doodling on a sheet of paper the teacher had given us to take notes, when I heard people whispering. "I can't believe she gets to go to the ball tonight! It's so unfair!" I turned around, and noticed all of my classmates were looking at me and whispering about me. My face turned bright red from embarrassment. Thankfully, no one saw because of my mask.

It felt like forever before class was over. Finally, the bell rang, and we were free to go home. I put my books in my book bag, and walked out of the classroom as fast as I could.

When I got home, I saw my mom in the living room with the dress I was wearing tonight on a mannequin. "Oh honey , you're home! I'm so excited for tonight!" she said. I think she wants to go to the ball more than I do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to go to the ball, but I am also really nervous. I don't know what to expect or what's going to happen.

"I got a letter today from the royal family. We are supposed to go to the palace and they will help you get ready there. All you have to do is show up with your dress." she said.

"When do we have to leave?"

"In about and hour. Why don't you go upstairs and get cleaned up."

I walked upstairs. I showered and changed into some new clothes. We left for the palace shortly after.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we got to the palace, there was a line of about a hundred females wearing masks lined up at the entrance. We got in line, and stood there for about ten minutes before one of the palace workers made an announcement.

"Ladies, thank you all for coming here today. As you all know, you are eligible suiters for the prince. You will each have a chance to meet the prince after you sign in." I heard a bunch of girls squeal with happiness. I just rolled my eyes. "Now, would everybody please take off there masks." said the palace worker.

Suddenly, everyone went silent. We all hesitated to take them off. The girl in front if me was the first to take off her mask. She had long blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. She had a button nose and dimples on both cheeks. Pretty soon, almost everyone had their masks off. I worked up enough courage, and took mine off, too.

I quickly glanced at my mother, and saw that her eyes were watery from holding back tears. I don't know whether those are good tears or bad tears, and I don't want to upset her by asking. "Alright, we will now start signing you in." said the announcer.

We stood in line for about thirty minutes before we got to the front of the line. "Name please." one of the workers said. "Erika Elswood" I said. "Alright, please take a step inside and wait for your turn to meet the prince." I nodded and walked over into another line. I was behind about ten people. I looked up at the prince, and he looked unamused. You could tell his smile was fake.

Finally, we made it to the front of the line. My heart felt like it was pounding out of my chest. This was the first time I have met royalty. Yes, I have seen them in person, but I have never personally talked to them. "Well, it was nice to meet you. See you at the ball." said the prince. He looked over in my direction, and he smiled. The smile he gave me looked different from the smile he gave the other girls. It looked more sincere. "I remember you. You're the girl from West field." he said.

West Field was the name of our village. I'm surprised he remembers me. He didn't remember any of the other girls. "Yes, I am." I said.

"What is your name?"

"Erika"

"Erika, that's a beautiful name."

"Thank you"

"A beautiful name for a beautiful girl."

I blushed, and this time I didn't have my mask to hide it.

"Christian, finish your conversation. There are other girls waiting to talk to you!" Yelled one of the girls supervising him.

"Okay, okay!" he yelled back.

"Well, I have to talk to the others, but I will see you at the ball. Don't leave me hanging, I will be looking for you." he said, then winked at me.

"I will definitely be there. Umm it was nice meeting you." I said, then one of the workers took my arm and led me to a room.

"This is where you will get ready. Someone will be in shortly to help you." Said the worker.

She closed the door, and it was just me and my mom. We waited for ten minutes for someone to come in and help. There was silence between us, leaving me with only my thoughts.

Why had the prince been so nice to me? Did he actually like me? He can't actually like me. This is probably all just in my head. "The prince seemed to really like you." my mother said, interrupting my thoughts. Maybe it wasn't all in my head. "He did?" I replied.

"Couldn't you tell? He treated you differently than all the other girls. I think you may have a good chance at being his wife." she said. I let out a laugh. "Me? Royalty? That will never happen." I replied.

"How do you know?"

"Mother, we only saw how he treated the ten girls in front of us. There are about a hundred girls. How do we know he didn't flirt like that with the others?"

"Have a little faith. Why can't you just accept the fact that he likes you?"

"No, he lusts over me. He only knows how I look, not my personality."

"That doesn't mean it's lust. When you first meet someone, all you have to go off of is looks. It's called love at first sight. Not love at first personality. Once he gets to know you, I'm sure he will fall for you."

Before I could respond, the door opened, and in walked a female worker. She was here to help me get ready. She started on my hair and makeup.

The only thing I could think about while she was getting me ready, was the prince.