His Angel

Arnav felt uneasy. Shouldn't she be back by now? 

He kept glancing at the door, expecting her to burst in any moment now. The wedding was on in full swing, with people from both the families mingling after garland exchange.

Arnav tried her number, his worry increasing when she didn't pick it up. He even called Ramesh - a first for him, given that ASR never called his employees from his personal number. He didn't pick up either.

Where the hell are you dammit.

Arnav kept a poker face as some business associates came to shake hands. He faked a polite smile and listened to them jibber jabber about the pretty decorations, the excellent food, blah blah blah. It infuriated him to be away from Khushi, his heart racing as he thought of all possible reasons she could be late.

After a long time he extricated himself from the tangle of guests, successfully avoiding the throng of young girls mooning over him. He spotted Buaji inside the mandap, chatting away with some ladies.

"Buaji?"

" Ha Babua?"

" Why hasn't Khushi returned yet? What's taking so long?"

Buaji looked around , realization dawning on her face.

Arnav realized she  had no idea . He cursed under his breath , torn between his desire to go look for Khushi and to stay in here and not run out on his own brother's wedding. 

After half an hour , he'd made up his mind. He informed his Nani and Di and zoomed off in his white SUV , eyes scanning the streets like a hawk.

Payal and Garima  were inconsolable . Anjali and Nani weren't much better . It was hard to see someone as vibrant as Khushi lay there in the hospital bed , surrounding by beeping machines , her beautiful face lifeless and pale .

Arnav's heart twisted in pain . If only he'd stopped her before Nani sent her. Now that he thought of it , the auto was probably the better option.

He was exhausted . The day had been absolutely horrible he couldn't believe he was about to lose two most important people in his life within a span of six hours. 

Faulty brakes , the police had said.

How was it possible that his car had a faulty brake  ? He sent them for servicing at least twice in a month , to ensure everything ran smoothly . Nothing ever went wrong  , unless , of course , some body put sugar cubes in it .

He gave a sad smile , reminiscing about those golden times when Khushi did everything in her power to irritate him. He used to be amazed at her audacity ~ no one ever dared to mess with ASR. 

Again his eyes flickered towards Khushi's bed , and he silently promised to make her better. 

Unknown to either of his families, he had arranged for the best doctor in the entirety of Delhi , had paid for the most expensive equipment , and arranged for two nurses to be by her side at all times. 

And you say money isn't that important, huh? He wryly thought, still looking at her.

He heard his family discussing who should stay back. He went stiff with irritation as he heard Mami say :" Hello hi bye bye , why should we stay back for that Phati sari ? I think her family should be staying. "

Buaji nodded , as if agreeing . " Garima , you go be with Shashi .I'll keep an eye on my titliya ."

No , not yours. Mine . Only mine.

"It's okay Buaji . "

Everyone looked at him, surprised to hear him speaking. 

Well , this is ASR we are talking about. He rarely ever spoke , and when he did, no one else spoke. 

"Akash and Payal should go back . Today has been hectic for them. Di is hurt , and she would need Nani to take care of her . Shashi uncle also needs to be looked after. That leaves me."

And I'm more than happy to stay. 

Buaji looked at him uncertainly. " But, Bitwa , you have office na tomorrow ? Besides.."

"It's okay Buaji . I'm willing to stay."

Once again , everyone gave him curious looks except Nani and Anjali . They already suspected he had a soft corner for Khushi .

"If  you say so..."

"I do ."

He slipped inside the room as the other members headed towards home , the tears finally falling as he looked at his beloved Khushi .

Why me , Ma ? Don't  I deserve any kind of happiness ? Am I doomed to suffer throughout my life? I thought you sent me an angel in Khushi . Is this how you plan on snatching my angel?

He pulled the chair closer to the bed , holding her hand as he leaned to tuck a few stray strands of hair behind her ears.

 So beautiful . So innocent. So...angelic. 

So lifeless.

His heart wrenched again , eyeing the various needles piercing her soft skin. He wished he could take away her pain and put himself in her position , but alas , the world doesn't work that way.

So he settled for holding her hands in his as he laid his head down on the sterilized white sheets, right next to her , as he drifted off to  a fitful sleep.

 Hi guys ! How'd you like this one??

Where do you think Shyam was, if he wasn't in the hospital ?

Do you think Arnav will confess his feelings when Khushi wakes up ?

Don't forget to comment and vote !