Just a few more hours

Lexi’s POV               

Forty eight hours, two thousand eight hundred and eighty minutes, one hundred seventy two thousand and eight hundred seconds, that is how long it’s been since Liam, Harry, Zayn, Niall and Louis have left me.  Forty eight hours, two thousand eight hundred and eighty minutes, one hundred seventy two thousand and eight hundred seconds, that’s how long my best friend has been in and out of consciousness.  Forty eight hours, two thousand eight hundred and eighty minutes, one hundred seventy two thousand and eight hundred seconds, that is how long I have been sitting in the same chair, in the same hospital room going absolutely crazy.  

In this time I also became obsessed with numbers.  In this room there were fifty ceiling tiles.  On the three above my chair there were 3,458 holes.  There were ten magazines that the hospital provided and I had read all of them cover to cover five times each.  In addition to such trivial numerical facts, there were some statistics that I would much rather forget.  For example, in the past two days, Ari’s parents had called 126 times.  Stella had answered all but one. That sole one phone call that I answered was the worst 56 seconds of my entire life.  354 was the number of texts that I had exchanged with Kenzie in this time.  That seems like an unreasonable number, but that number is almost half of the texts between Liam and me at 698.  And that number increases exponentially for the number of texts Louis sent not only to me, but Jesse, Mason, Oliver and Jeremy at 1879. Half of those to me went unanswered due to how frequently he had texted, and how rude he had become.  It isn’t necessarily funny, but the main reason he had an unbelievable number was he sent one worded texts over and over again.

Those are just half of the facts sprouting in my mind.  If I really wanted to think about every random number scheme idea I had, I could mention that five times Ari would mumbled some incoherent nothings to the up to six peoples in the room.  Three times she woke up enough to actually talk to medical doctors as well as two different psychologists.  Each time she would end up being sedated and then the process would start back over. 

During school I hated math and stats and accounting, and now here I was just spitting out random numbers that seem to have no significant meaning, yet at the same time, they meant so much.  Now here I sat, Jesse talking about who knows what, and Mason pretending even more so than I was.  Looking down at the magazine I realized I had the same sentence fourteen times, never quite comprehending what it said, even though I had already read this magazine a few times before.  In only a matter of seconds did I realize I was no longer reading, but counting, counting the words on the page.

Fifteen.

Sixteen.

Seventeen.

“What do you think of this?” Jesse asked, pulling my attention away from the magazine I had gripped loosely in my hand.

Gasping, I actually looked at him over the page.  Jesse wore an expectant look, so I knew had to answer him, but I couldn’t quite remember the question he had asked me. “What?” I asked, putting down the magazine, picking up my phone to check it. Louis was texting me, again, informing me of their location it seemed every twenty minutes.  It was unreal how fast that had made it from LA to Spokane Washington.  They were now on their way over to the hospital.  According to his estimations, they would arrive in thirty minutes.  I hadn’t let Louis know of how things were exactly going with Ari.  Nor had I let Ari know how close Louis and the guys were.  It was if I was trying to win with both of them, and it was going to be a losing battle it seemed like. 

“It is nice.” I commented, looking at the page he was trying to thrust in my face of some old thing he was trying to create.  Honestly, whatever it was that he was showing me was the last thing that I was really truly worried about.