Chapter 14 - Earthquake

WELCOME BACK OLD READERS AND WELCOME NEW ONES <3 BE PREPARED FOR TODAYS CHAPTER :))) (important message for old readers in the A/N)

- - - - -¤- - - - -

JESENIA

CALIFORNIA – USA

"So, class, can anyone tell me what 'Este día ha sido lo suficientemente largo, vete a casa' means?" the spanish teacher says in a horrible attempt at trying a spanish accent after finally finishing his ramble about how much he loves dogs. Ric's head jerks up at the sound of what he said. "'Este día ha sido lo suficientemente largo, vete a casa' means 'this day has been long enough, go home'" Ric says with easy in a thick Spanish accent.

In the corner of my eyes I see Luci smile and take Ric's hand in hers. He smiles down at her just as the bell rings. "Thank you, Mr. Perez, it's greatly appreciated that at least someone is paying attention" the teacher remarks whilst looking at some of the students that have fallen asleep. Ric laughs and finishes the conversation with the teacher.

Marcy gently nudges my side, catching my attention, as he goes to stand up. He's looking a bit paler than usual. He leans down and whispers into my ear, "Nini, I'm hungry" Slowly he steps back, standing with his back straight, as if acting like nothing is wrong. "We'll get some food when we get home, dandy" I smile, whilst standing up again.

He coughs as he wraps his hand around me. "Silky, there's a smell... it's so strong. I can't resist it" Marcy says whilst covering his mouth slightly. Grim looks over at us with a concerned expression on his face, our eyes meet, and I hesitantly turn my gaze back toward Marcy.

"What do you mean? Where is it coming from?" I ask trying to get him to look at me. His penetrating stare doesn't move as he continues looking straight ahead, behind me. Slowly, we all turn our attention to whatever Marcy's staring at. There he was, William, the boy we talked to earlier. Only, that wasn't the only thing we could see.

Sniffing the air, I finally catch the strong scent. "A papercut... he's bleeding, but..." my sentence is cut short as Lou chimes in, "His blood smells so differently, I've never smelt anything like it" Looking back up at Marcy, I notice that his jaw is clenching and unclenching. I glance down at his bunched up fist, taking it in my hand and giving it a gentle squeeze.

"Marcellus..." I slowly say, trying to catch his attention. "Marcellus Dubard, listen to me!" he finally snaps out of the trance and looks down at me. "You don't want to hurt this boy, we're getting food when we get home" He seems to debate my words, and a look of shame flashes over his face for a second. He should never be ashamed of himself.

The classroom is now dead silent, even the teacher has left. But of course, little William is staying after school. "How long is it since you last took your potion, Marcy?" Luci asks hesitantly. His attention is now on her whilst a look of conflict crosses his face. "I haven't... taken it today" he croaks out and licks his dry lips.

"What?" Ric exclaims shocked. "Marcy, I specifically told you that you need to take that potion once every eight hours" he continues in an authoritative tone. Marcy's head hangs down toward the floor just as the lights suddenly turns off. Lou jumps nervously and clings onto Grim, but soon regains her composure.

Grim starts whispering to Lou as I turn my attention elsewhere. Gripping onto Marcy's hand tighter, I start going toward the door whilst pulling him with me. "Nini.." I put up a finger, trying to silence him. Walking down the halls, toward the little sunshine I can see at the end, I state, "Marcy, I know how you are with taking medicine and I get it... but you know I just want the best for you" My steps falter so I can look at him properly.