nineteen - lust

"It's time for the trial," Melissa knocked, talking loudly. "Wake up, kiddos!"

I rubbed my eyes when Melissa banged on the door and rolled over on the bed to look at Alex, who was still asleep. "Okay," I called out. Footsteps walking away from the door responded.

I could hear Alex's light snores. His hair was messy and I could tell he'd been running his fingers through it last night; something he did when he was nervous. His cast had finally come off so his fingers curled and wrapped around my waist and back, holding me to him. The last few nights, he'd been holding me even closer to him than before, like he was afraid I'd slip away if I wasn't right next to him. The ring his mom gave him for Christmas glittered on the middle finger of his left hand. I reached up and touched the diamond necklace Melissa gave me.

"Alex," I whispered, trying to wake him. He didn't move, but instead, pulled me closer. "Alex," I giggled as he pulled me half on top of him.

His eyes fluttered open, and he smiled a little, cute smile. "Why are you all over me?"

I playfully smacked his arm as he loosened his grip, allowing me to get back down onto the bed, but still not enough to get out of his arms. "You pulled me on you!"

"Oops," he mumbled, half closing his eyes again, and pulling me into his bare chest.

I placed my hand on his chest. "Alex!" I exclaimed. "We have to go, your trial is today."

He opened his eyes and looked at the clock on the opposite wall. "It's at 2 and it's 11 right now."

"Your mom said-"

"My mom knows if she wakes me up on time, I'll take hours to get up."

"Maybe start getting up on time?" I suggested.

"Where's the fun in that?"

I giggled as he drifted back off to sleep. I propped myself up on my arms above him and looked at his features. The stubble on his chin was growing out, and his lips were bright pink. His eyes had circles under them. I could tell he wasn't getting enough sleep. I placed a hand on his cheek and ran it across his soft brown skin.

His eyes were still closed but he put his hand over mine and whispered in a low voice, "You're staring."

"I know," I whispered.  "I'm scared I'm losing you," I confessed in a soft voice.

He opened his eyes slowly to look at me. "My mom said the lawyer thinks I have a good enough case to stay here-"

I cut him off. "No, I mean, I feel like I'm losing you as a person. I know we haven't really talked about it since that night but I'm really scared for you. You're the strongest person I've ever met, but I. . . I don't know."

He took my hand off his cheek. Instead he grabbed it and intertwined his fingers with mine. His eyes fully opened and he looked up at me.

"Out of all the people in my life, you're the one I feel the most sane around. If anything, you're the strongest person I know because you're the one keeping me here."

I let out a breath. "You know, you've been holding me tighter and closer every night."

"It helps me sleep knowing you're right next to me." He started twirling circles on my bare thigh and I got goosebumps.

I stared at his hand and flushed. "My parents are coming back tonight though. So I can't stay here anymore. Sadly."

"I forgot about them." He grabbed onto my thighs and pulled me on top of his lap, so I was straddling him while he was laying down. I felt a heat in my stomach as my hips pressed against his.