Chapter 10 - A Confusing Asher

A Confusing Asher

Waking side by side with Asher towards his car isn't something I haven't envisioned in my mind, but certainly something that I didn't think possible. He only ever gave me lifts home was when he was forced to by his parents, or when I mom asked and he pretended to gladly do it. My nerves are all over the place and the blood has flooded my cheeks, making it warm. When we reach the parking lot it is less full than I thought it would be. I expect Asher to shove me into his car out of embarrassment of being seen with me, but when we reach his car he surprisingly gets in the driver's seat and opens up the passenger door from the inside.

I mumble a soft 'thank you' and bend down to get inside. Once my door is shut, I feel the engine rumble to life and the smooth feeling of Asher pulling out of the parking lot. I peak a glance at him and his hands are clenching the steering wheel tightly, causing his arms to appear tense and strong, with his veins showing. I wanted to move over and touch him but resisted. Not only would it be weird but also not accepted by social standards.

"So, where are we going?" I ask gently, not wanting to startle him and make him realise that he is actually giving me a lift; he has hated me half his life.

"Why are you so tense?" He asks instead of answering. I realise that he is right, so I loosen the tight grip I have on my bag and move it away from my chest. I was hugging it way too tightly.

"I guess I'm not sure whether or not you are really acting civil with me or if this is one of your games." I answer honestly.

"It's not a game. I feel bad for the way I treated you, and I'm trying to make up for my actions. We won't suddenly be best friends after this or hang out ever again, trust me."

I sigh and sulk in my seat.

"So where do you want to go?" He ask.

"Home."

"Come on, Rosie. I know how much you like to eat junk and I'm offering to take to wherever you want." he says.

"How about Maria's Gelato?" I ask hopefully. I rarely ever went there with my friends, because it was expensive and a bit far but since he was offering to buy, I wouldn't shove away the chance. Besides, he owes me for the way he has treated me my whole life.

"That ice cream parlor right off the side of fifth avenue? Which is like a thirty minute drive away from here." he raises a brow.

"I know, but you said anywhere." I face him and send him a sheepish smile.

"Alright, fine. But only because there's a tattoo parlor close by to that that I really wanted to check out." He grumbles. I notice that we are already out of my school's radar, and even further away from my house. I have no money on me, and no cell phone credits to make a phone call, so if Asher wanted to abandon me on the side of the road like he expectedly would, I wouldn't be surprise. I grow nervous at the thought. Despite growing up as neighbours, with our parents being best friends since we were born, I still know for a fact that I don't trust him. He is impulsive and wouldn't think twice before letting something bad happen to me. He doesn't care enough about me, which is why I don't trust him.

"You want another tattoo?" I ask, remembering what he said a few seconds ago.

"Yes, why?"

"I'm just curious. Wasn't your parents mad at the first one you got?" I ponder, staring at the side of his face. He is so stoic and tense.

"They were, but I didn't give enough fucks to care. I'm actually considering getting my whole arm sleeved. That way they will really blow their shit." He says with a smirk.