Chapter 15 - Awkward Charlie

Awkward Charlie

It's Monday today. The next day after Sunday, where all the crazy events went down in my backyard. I haven't spoken to Ling and Lohan since yesterday, and I was excited to see them. We need to talk about the charity event as it is coming up soon. We barely have anything planned, and I'm really starting to worry now. Given all the assignments and homework plus the auction, I didn't realise when I agreed to take on the charity event that our teachers would swarm us with assignments and projects. I hope to get it done soon, and I'm excited to raise the money for those orphaned kids.

My dad decided to drop me off at school today since I was a bit late and the bus passed my house right before I could stop it.

"Here you are, kiddo." He says, after pulling up to my school's parking lot.

"Thanks, dad." I reach over the console and place a kiss on his cheek. I unfasten my seatbelt.

"See you later." He smiles.

"Bye!" I say cheerily before opening up the car door and getting out. I sling my bag over my shoulder and secure my straps comfortably. I wave before shutting the car door. When my dad drives away and out of the parking lot, my eyes scan the school grounds and it's bustling with students, given that it is ten minutes to eight when we would have to get to our homeroom classes.

I don't see my friends anywhere and none of them messaged me this morning, so I decided to head to my homeroom and spend the last ten minutes waiting for the teacher to show up. Ling, Lohan and I usually meet up in the mornings before we head to class, so it is weird not to see them.

I keep my head down with my hair shielding my face as I make my way to the school entrance. I look at the ground as I walk, something I always do when I don't have friends with me to make me feel a bit more confident. When I reach the entrance the sun is suddenly obscured from my vision when someone steps in front of me. I look up in confusion and my eyes meet Asher's.

"Rosie," he nods his head slightly.

"Good morning." I smiled, resisting the temptation of scanning his appearance. His hair looks wet today, and I have the feeling that he just got out of the shower.

"You look beautiful today." He says with a smirk. "Just as you do every other day."

My eyes widen and butterflies swarm in my tummy. "O-Okay. Thank you." I say unsurely, not sure if he was playing with me or not.

"Remember? Two compliments for the day if you tutor me." He says, holding up his hand in a number two gesture.

Realisation creeps into me. "Oh! Right." My cheeks heat up in a blush as if the gleaming sun isn't already burning me up as it is. Sue me for thinking he act meant it. "They have to be genuine though. You can't just suck random compliments out of your thumb that has nothing to do with me."

"So you're saying that beauty has nothing to do with you?" He raises a brow. I squint my eyes at the sun, having to look up at him. I take a few steps away from him and stand into the little shade the school gate was giving off. Asher follows my movements and stand in front of me again, slinging his school bag loosely over his one shoulder.

"No, all I mean is that you've called me ugly for so long. I have the right to think that you're lying." I point out, biting my lip. His eyes follow the movement and my lips immediately release my lip in embarrassment.

"Maybe. . ." He murmurs out softly, lifting up a hand and placing a gentle touch on my cheek. "Maybe I've been lying about you being ugly all this time."

"Then why would you say it?" I ask, my eyes narrowing.

He looks unsure, before his hand drops. "Second compliment; You smell good too, like vanilla and pineapple." He says, giving me a lasting stare before turning around and walking away.