Chapter 13.

"Hey, missed me?" Katherine questions as I sit around the island having breakfast. "Absolutely." I truly did, it's been a full 24hrs since I've seen her and even though we talked I still missed having her around.

"Aww, Izzy I missed you too." She gives me a hug and a peck on the lips. "How was your day off, got enough rest?" She sits on one of the stools and turns to face me with her elbow on the table and her hand supporting her head under her chin.

"I absolutely did, too much rest in fact." She takes my coffee up and begins drinking it. "Would you like me to fix you a cup Miss Smith?" My house keeper questions and she shakes her head. "No thank you Mrs. Taylor, I'm not staying." She sips some more and Mrs. Taylor leaves us alone.

"What are your plans for later?" I continue to eat as she speaks and finish chewing everything before I answer. "I'm not sure yet, why?"

"I thought maybe we could go out, I'm feeling like I need to be doing something later." She stands and takes up her purse. "What do you have in mind?"

"I don't know, I'll think about it as the day goes on." She kisses my cheek. "See you later." She leaves and I bid her goodbye. Katherine's behavior has changed over the past month, she makes me feel as if we are in a relationship the way she is with me and that isn't at all what I want. I sigh and push my plate away.

I can't keep doing this to her.

~8~

The day had a fast progression, it was already noon and time for lunch, I was expecting to spend this alone but I was visited by a known lunch buddy. "Hey, sorry to stop by unannounced but, It's my lunch time and I thought I could get you some lunch at that restaurant we use to go to and talk about this new apartment." I stand with my hands in my pocket as she nervously speaks but maintaining eye contact.

"Ahhh, sure. I don't see why not." I smile at her and she gives me a toothless smile, just then Katherine walks in, okay... this can't be good. "Please tell me you're not working at lunch time." She continues in as she speaks and Dakota and I both give her our attention. "I'm not, I was about to go for lunch." She fixes my tie before kissing me, I side eye Dakota and she looks too. "I'm sorry, where are my manners?" She catches herself and turns to Dakota extending her hand.

"I'm Katherine."

"Dakota." She smiles faintly. "Oh, I know who you are, nice to meet you." I want to roll my eyes, what was nice about meeting her after what I told her happened? It made her upset, why is she lying now?

"Uhm, okay." They release each other's hand and she turns back to me. "Since you were heading out for lunch I'd like to come with." She holds her hands together beaming at me. "I was actually going with Dakota, discuss some business too."

"Oh." Her mouth forms into an O and then she looks back at Dakota. "You know what, just call me and tell me about it, send me a message maybe. I don't know whichever works best. She's coming further away from me and if she came to have lunch then you might as well go with your girlfriend." She stresses the last word then turns to leave, I didn't bother stating Katherine and I's label because justifying things to her was hard as a acorn.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to ruin whatever was happening here, just call her back and go."

"It's fine, you came all this way, lets go."

The next day.

"Interesting night I see." Dakota says as she walks with one hand clutching her purse and another holding Asher's. "Huh?" I say puzzled. "Hickeys." She looks up at me and I rub my hand over the area which was still sore to touch but, forgotten the moment I stepped out of my bedroom from the mirror. "I hope you'll like this new space, it looks really delightful." Immediately I change the subject.