Prologue

1958

1958

It was cloudy that day. I remember because I usually like when it's cloudy. I don't sun burn as easily and it isn't quite as hot. But that day I didn't like the clouds. They meant I was leaving North Carolina. I hugged Heather one last time. She was best friend and my next door neighbor. She had red hair and lots of freckles. We hugged and cried until my mother carefully pulled us apart.

"I'll write you every Monday." I promised with a lisp caused by my two front teeth falling out.

"I'll write you back every time." She said while letting yet another tear fall.

Eight year olds are too young to cry over missing someone. They shouldn't be experiencing loss of any kind. They should be finding things. Finding out what their favorite color is or what kind of music they like. Not losing their best friend.

"Ella, sweetheart we have to go. We'll miss our flight." My mother said pulling me to the car.

"Mrs. Vanderwaal please! Just let her live with us!" Heather screamed while she tried to run to me but her father held her back. My mom lifted me into her arms and then bent down to Heather.

"How about this girls," she began while glancing at both of us. "On Ella's eighteenth birthday, I'll let her choose if she wants to return here or stay in London. Deal?"

Heather and I looked at each other and smiled. Although the squint from our wide grins forced more tears to fall, we ignored them. She reached up and hugged me and my mother one last time.

"Deal, Mrs. Vanderwaal. I can wait ten years for my best friend."

"And we will come visit over the summer, honey. Don't worry. I wouldn't keep her from you forever."

With that, my mother loaded me in the car. I looked out the window to my best friend. As my father started to drive away, she held up a rock sign. I smiled and did it back, though I'm not entirely sure if she saw before we disappeared from her sight.

After a few minutes, my tears stopped falling and I started reading to help pass time. We we're thirty minutes from our airport so I had time to read. By the time I finished three chapters, we were at the airport and I was forced to hop on a plane.

It was crowded and I didn't like it. Even at a young age I was afraid of people. Most kids are bubbly and full of life. I'm only like that when I'm with Heather. She's so full of adventure and excitement. She always told me she was going to be a rockstar someday and marry Elvis Presley. She said she'd be the first female rock singer. The queen of rock. I never would be able to do something like that. Stages scare me but I sure did like watching Heather dance around with a hairbrush singing Elvis songs. When I was with her, I could be fearless too. She'd force me to dance and sing and of course once I did I had fun. I loved music more than anything in the world.