five

"This is a little bit extreme, don't you think?" John asked as we walked into Brian's apartment building

"Extreme?" I questioned.

"Well, yeah. I'm not good enough to be in a real band. Not like this." He stared at his feet, a habit I learned he only did when he was embarrassed. He needed to be more confident in his music, and himself.

I stopped him right at Brian's door and turned him to me. "You're incredible, John Deacon. You're going to give this band more than you can imagine. I can feel it." I kissed his cheek quickly and he turned a deep shade of red.

"Now, go kill that audition." He smiled widely and nodded as he walked into the apartment. I stood aimlessly in the hallway for a moment before the door opened once again. This time a familiar blonde stood on the other side.

"Are you coming in, love?" He asked and I didn't reply, just stepped by him and sat in the couch next to Freddie.

"All right John, whenever you're ready." Brian spoke in a firm, yet kind voice. I liked the sound of his voice very much.

John took a few deep breaths and then began playing. He sounded absolutely marvelous. He was concentrating so hard that it seemed as if he was in another world. They all seem to have that look, all great musicians. And maybe it's because they really do slip into a parallel world when they play. One where everything is good and everything is right, I envy musicians. Because I will never be able to be apart of that world.

When he finished, I glanced over at Brian who simply smiled and nodded. I knew John had done it. I ran over and through my arms around him and Brian followed me.

"Congratulations John. Welcome to Smile."

"Not so fast," Freddie I interrupted. I turned around and looked at him confused.

"Smile was the old name, and as fitting as it was for the blonde dentist student, we aren't that band anymore." Brian and Roger looked at each other and then back at Fred.

"Well, any ideas Fred?" Roger asked in a sassy tone.

"I'll come up with something. Something that turns heads. Something short, extravagant, and absolutely fitting for us four," Freddie said in his usual dramatic voice. I started to giggle to myself, which caused four heads to turn toward me.

"What's so funny, darling?" Fred asked with a smile.

"Nothing, Freddie, at times I just forget what a drama queen you are." The others stifled a laugh when I said this, but Freddie smiled and rolled his eyes at me.

"Oh no, honey, I could never be any type of queen. That's your job," he replied with a wink and then quickly kissed my cheek. He pulled away and I saw an idea pop into his head. His face quickly changed and he smiled as if he just solved everything.

"Queen," he said allowed to all of us. "It's perfect. We're four musical misfits who wouldn't have come together had it not been for you, Ella. You're the Queen that started this band rather you realize it or not."

I stood not knowing what on earth I should say. I didn't get this band together. They did it themselves. Their talent led them to each other. It was Fate that these four boys were standing in the same room together. I was merely just a lucky girl who happen to know them.

"Queen," Brian repeated. I turned and looked at him and he smiled. "I like that quite a lot actually."

"Me too. It makes sense for a group of bloody idiots like us," I smiled at Rogers comment and he smiled back at me.

"It's perfect," John added.

"Well in that case I propose we should go get a drink, for the Queen." Freddie grinned at us and slipped his arm around me.

"Now I'm always down for that," Roger added. And with that we were headed back to the very place this all started.

When we arrived at the pub we took a seat at a table near the back. Their was another live band playing, though they wouldn't be able to hold a candle to the new and improved Queen. My attention stayed on the band, their was five of them and they had talent but lacked stage presence and energy. I watched them play the music without feeling a single note or word that was filling the room of strangers. I was deep in thought when a voice brought me back to the table.

"Hello, darling is anyone home?" Freddie asked snapping his fingers in front of my face.

"What?" I asked.

"I asked if you wanted a drink, Brian and I are heading to the bar."

I looked at him and tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear. "I'm all right Fred. Thank you."
Freddie and Brian then made their way to the bar to get their drinks.

"Where did John go?" I asked Roger who sat directly in front of me.

"He left to use the loo while you were zoned out. Is everything all right?"

I looked at him and felt a strange amount of energy radiating off of him. It's like I could feel him without touching him at all. It was a foreign feeling, and quite honestly, an overwhelming one at that.

"Yes, I was simply thinking of the band, that's all. Quite boring, they are," I explained and Roger grinned at me. I found it harder and harder for me to take my eyes away from him.

"Would you like to dance with me?" He asked.

I hesitated, afraid of answering yes and even more afraid of saying no. "I'm afraid dancing isn't really my style."

"What is your style Ella?"

"Admiring," I answered quickly. He chuckled at me which sent my stomach into knots.

"I believe there are doers and there are watchers in this world, Ella," he began while leaning across the table and getting dangerously close to me. "And you are much too beautiful to be a watcher," he whispered.

Before I could even think of responding to the smooth blonde, John returned from the bathroom. Not long after that Freddie and Brian returned with their drinks. The rest of the night consisted mostly of the boys getting to know each other better. Of course they asked me a question or two and I shared a few entertaining stories about me and Freddie. But I spent most of the night doing what I do best. Admiring. This time my attention wasn't on a band but rather a boy. I watched Roger. I watched the way he laughed and the way he was quick to respond with a witty remark. I watched and felt him the whole night. I felt his presence and felt his energy more than any human I had ever met. The live band didn't have anything to contribute to the room, but the pub was thriving and I wholeheartedly believe it was because of the one and only, radiant Roger Taylor.