Chapter 10: Goosebumps

-Lucy Phoenix-

"We have a pretty long break next," Meghan announced, scanning her schedule. "What do you want to do?"

"Library," Peter said at the same time as Lucy, who said, "Dungeon."

Meghan blinked. "Um, alright, we can take a vote... Peter, why the library?"

"Professor McGonagall's essay on the importance of Transfiguration fundamentals." Peter said simply.

Meghan nodded, "Okay. Lucy, why the dungeon?"

Lucy opened her mouth, then closed it. She didn't have a reason, but she knew the Slytherins would be having Potions with them after break, and if she was lucky, maybe he would be there early, too...

"Potions next," Lucy croaked out idiotically. She mentally slapped herself for sounding so dumb.

"Right," Meghan clearly was not on board. "But we have almost an hour, why don't we start on McGonagall's essay."

Lucy felt her heart flop over and die a little. "O-okay," she managed. She followed a few paces behind Peter and Meghan as they headed down the corridor in the direction of the library, their heads together, probably discussing how long the essay should be. Lucy sighed, regretting Meghan's decision, but... wait... Meghan!

"Meghan," Lucy caught up to her. "Your brother!"

Meghan looked at her, and Lucy realized she was expecting her to say more.

"What about him?" Meghan asked uncertainly.

Lucy thought quickly. 'You idiot, you're giving it away... save it....save it...'

"He - he still has my quill." Lucy stammered. Stupid...

"Oh, right," Meghan replied. "I'll get it back for you at dinner, don't worry."

"What about Potions?" Lucy asked a little too quickly. "Aren't we seeing him in Potions?"

Meghan looked suspiciously taken aback. "Well, I suppose... but I wouldn't talk in Professor Snape's class. He's come over to our house before, you know, meetings with my father and everything, and he's very intimidating. I would stay off his bad side if I were you."

"We're here," Peter, who had involuntarily listened to the entire conversation without interest, said dully. He pushed open the door to the library and they were immediately swooped down upon by the librarian, Madam Pince.

"Stay quiet. Don't disturb the readers. Have you got any food or drink? It will be confiscated." She announced as she frisked all of them as quietly as she could.

When the trio escaped Madam Pince's gaze, they found a corner that had a small table. They laid their bags down and started searching for any relevant books. Peter sped down the aisle, his forefinger sliding against the spines of all the books he passed.

"Is he really reading all of those as he goes by?" Meghan wondered aloud to Lucy.

Lucy shrugged, still thinking about how she could bring up the topic of Draco without sounding suspicious.

"Come on, then," Meghan led Lucy down the aisle after Peter, but much more slowly.

Lucy scanned the book titles absentmindedly, not really taking in the words but just watching the fonts and colors change from book to book.

"Hey!" Someone shouted from the other side of the bookshelf, followed by heavy thuds as books fell to the floor.

From her desk at the end of the aisle, Madam Pince's head snapped up violently. "SHHHHHH!" she nearly screeched, her beady eyes wide and fiery.