Part Two: Chapter 9

Viola is well and back to being what people think is the professional snobby bitch of Agthoven. The Friday, a week after Verena found out Viola could possibly be pregnant, Viola announces a meeting for the student body government only to announce that meetings will be held once a month. On the last Tuesday of the month.

Verena wonders if this has anything to do with the fact that her friend is soon to be a mother. She hasn't spent a single day where she looks at Viola and thinks of considering talking to her about the issue. Is that why she was feeling sick? Was all the vomiting because of that? Because she was pregnant? Verena can't help but keep thinking about the whole thing so the best she can do is wait for everyone to leave and speak.

She looks at the door and peeks out before closing it behind her. Viola's clearly confused.

"Vee." Verena starts, "I know, I know about the uh...I saw the test. Last week when I came to yours to give you the cakes. Look, I don't know if I'm supposed to know this but—"

"It's okay." Viola looks drained, possibly at the thought of the issue Verena just brought up but to Verena's surprise, she doesn't look bothered nor does she look like someone who got pregnant when she probably wasn't planning on to, "It was Theodore's."

It's no surprise. But her using the term 'was' made Verena think about what she said again, "What do you mean was?"

Viola doesn't speak but she sits down, bites her lip. She looks close to crying and Verena went and hugged her, "You don't have to talk."

"I took the pill, Ren. I told Theodore and he said it'll be fine. He said we could do it—which I doubted—but I was so scared I didn't know what to do so I took the pill. I haven't told him, Verena. I was so fucking scared." She's sobbing now and Verena still understands her through the mumbles against her shoulder and the tears.

"Hey, tell Theodore when you're ready." Verena hugs her friend tightly before pulling her away, holding her shoulders, "I know you're strong, Vee."

Viola hugs Verena again, "Thank you so much."

••

Ferrans is the bar kids from Agthoven and Harbor View likes to hit up once in a while. Located in the Upper East Side, it's known for being filled with rich, horny teenagers. Of course, from Agthoven and HV. The last time they came to Ferrans it was the epitome of dumb rich teens of New York City.

"Brandon'll be here tonight." Max pulled Verena to the men's bathroom while nobody was occupied.

"I know what to do, Max." Verena rolls her eyes, "Now, we can't be seen together as much." The marble tiles of the bathroom felt cold against her bare back.

Max shrugs his shoulders, "Sure," He says before kissing her, "I like your dress," He comments and kisses her again.

If it wasn't for the awaiting job they had, Verena thought, she wants this to last way longer than it actually did. To be fair, it was the boy's bathroom, they were bound to be disturbed by someone walking in. Which they were, "It's..my cue to leave," Verena whispered. She wipes the smudged red lipstick and shoots him a knowing glance before leaving.

Brandon is easily spotted when he's at Ferrans. He's always at the bar, looking for a girl to mingle and when Verena makes her way to the bar, Brandon already had someone to fancy him. Evelyn Leigh. Verena knows her from the student government, she's a sophomore representative.

It seemed like they were having a heartfelt conversation, Evelyn already being a little too giggly, probably from the drinks Brandon was feeding her, so Verena doesn't bother them. She takes a glass of white wine of her own and stands behind Evelyn, her back to the bar. And honestly, Verena tried to listen in on their conversation but the music was playing too loud.

After a dreading 5 minutes, Evelyn's friends came to her, looking too drunk to be anywhere near Brandon Reed. And when Evelyn does leave, giving Brandon a 'later' look and a wave from Brandon himself, he spots Verena.

"Verena," He greets.

"Let me guess, are you gonna jerk off to Evelyn Leigh after you tape her?"

Brandon raises his hands in surrender and looks nowhere new shocked, "Straight to point, Verena? No fun?"

"Fun. Hm," She ponders, "Just tell me, Brandon, for fuck's sake, what do you want?"

Verena knows what he wants. A sick, stupid game of revenge. She used him once, summer after sophomore, right before school started, to make Max jealous. She led him on into thinking she really wanted something genuine out of the supposed relationship they had. Brandon's wish all came crumbling down when Verena broke it down to her. Turns out it was just a summer fling. With bad intentions.

"If it's because of that summer, you need to grow up." Brandon has to at least be glad she didn't just break things off with him with no reason. She had the heart to tell him what her intentions were.

"It's not because of that."

"Bullshit." Verena knew she was leading Brandon to anger because he put his whiskey down and clenched his jaw.

He was probably figuring out something to prove to her that it wasn't because of the revenge-driven anger that led him to tape a video of her stripping and of them making out. with no consent. Verena knew well she was drunk, because when Max showed her what other pictures and videos he sent her, half of them couldn't resurface in her memories. He could be charged with child pornography.

Verena is 17, while Brandon is 18. He had to repeat a year because the school caught him dealing drugs within the school and to Harbor view. It makes it totally possible for him to be charged with child pornography because Verena is a minor and he's not. An adult taking advantage of a minor.

Brandon took her arm and led her to the far corner of the bar. A hallway with bathrooms. He looked around and sighed, "Alright Verena, What do you want?"

"I'm asking you," Verena argued, "Stop playing dumb. You don't want to tell me? Fine. Whatever you like, but not a hint of why you did that in the first place? Christmas is coming. Don't you want to spend Christmas with no bad blood?"

"You're threatening me."

"I'm not threatening you. I'm simply asking your motives. Besides, we have a conference in Vienna in February, you're supposed to know this. Unless you've been ditching debate meetings. We can't be on bad terms when we have to be diplomatic, don't you think?"

Brandon narrows his eyes, "So you're using your status? I see." He nods, "Blackmailing and debate captain looks good on you. Besides, Model UN had nothing to do with this."

"Okay fine, I'll leave it up to you. Go have fun all you want. I'll see you at Wasserstein's dinner. Let's see what happens there."