Part One (3): Ernest

"Thank god you called," Angelica said before propping herself on the bed beside Ernest

     "Thank god you called," Angelica said before propping herself on the bed beside Ernest. The sky's navy blue color was visible from the window behind her and he could tell the early sunsets of Fall was already arriving.

     "What happened?"

     "It's Vi." Ernest nodded at her reply. Of course it's Vi, he thought.

     Ernest called Angelica because maybe she could do something about the emptiness of the apartment. There was something eerie about the atmosphere of the apartment that weekend. The mix of darkness and the emptiness of it made Ernest feel trapped in a way. His sister, Annabel, had gone to Norway about a week ago for a week worth of holiday she managed to get from her uni.

     "When's Annabel coming?" Angelica asked.

     "Tomorrow morning," Ernest said and glanced at Angelica who was laying beside him. There's a few beat of silence before Angelica rolled over and adjusted herself on top of him.

     "Did you sleep?" Angelica asked and Ernest could already feel her eyes roaming around his face, "That was a rhetorical question. Of course you didn't sleep." Her fingertips went around his eyes and his jaw where there was a scruff forming, "Ugh, you need to shave."

     Ernest let out a chuckle, "I did sleep."

     "You don't look like it."

     Angelica liked to call his poor sleeping abilities his sleeping problem. For him it's a norm to be pulling an all-nighter and go on without a sleep for days but the people around him said otherwise. He thought it's stupid about how everyone thought not sleeping is a big deal because why would they care more about him not getting any sleep if he's totally fine with it?

     "Whatever," he murmured and his eyes unintentionally moved across her room and to the hallway visible through the half opened door. A picture used to be there, a picture of his mother but Annabel took it away months ago because she didn't want him remembering about her. A direct quote.

     "Ernie," she sighed, her hands cupping the side of his face.

     "It's okay," he said and pulled her in for a kiss.

     It's sad to think that Agthoven's couple stayed for two years. But then again, it's high school. It's not often people like them stay together for long but Ernest and Angelica had something within them. He knew that when he met her. And he knew when they started going out that their whole thing could look like some sick game but Ernest always made sure to Angelica that their relationship wasn't some sick show for Agthoven's student body.

     Not to mention Angelica's crowd isn't exactly his, it's easy for people to assume Ernest simply wanted fame but he never thought it was his job to prove himself to those people. He let them thought what they wanted to think.