8.0

"Look, you don't have to be with me

"Look, you don't have to be with me." He argued, "Its been weight on my shoulders that I've been aching to get off." Lucas stared at her, heart sinking in fear of rejection. She stood there too, seemingly arguing with her emotions. She didn't know how to feel, especially when she's been so oblivious to her best friends feelings towards her.

"I don't know what to say, Lucas."

"I just want to know where we stand."

She shrugged, "You liking me shouldn't change what we have."

His heart sunk deep within his chest; his deepest fear had become true. God, it had hurt so bad. The feeling of heartbreak didn't compare to any of his football injuries.

"Yeah... You're right. It shouldn't." Lucas shook his head, pushing more space between them. "I should probably go... I'll see you tomorrow."

   •••

Maya was particularly annoyed.

Days had gone by since Lucas appeared at her window and confessed, and she still couldn't stop thinking about it.

Now, everything she did tied into Lucas. Her mind fills with perpetual thoughts of Lucas. She had found herself studying everything about him. And trying to avoid him because of the newfound way she had started feeling.

She couldn't sleep without thoughts of Lucas roaming her brain, even as much as she tried to ignore it.

You're in love with Josh. That's how it is.

But deep down, she knew that wasn't it.

Presently, she had wished she could do it all over. The day when Lucas had came to her room and confessed, she wished she could fall into his arms and trip into paradise together. Which was odd, she had never felt this way about anyone. That scared her, a lot, actually. With Josh, she felt different, like she did like him. But Lucas? Nobody ever compared to the way she feels.

•••

So when Josh and Maya had scheduled a date and her stood her up, leaving her in the rapidly, freezing pouring rain, with her makeup smeared and tears falling in frustration, she had called the one person she knew could cheer her up.

"I came as soon as possible."

She climbed up into his massive truck and sat down. They hadn't talked for weeks now, and the tension rose.

"Thank you, Lucas." She said, wiping the running mascara from her eye.

"What happened? Have you been crying?"

"...Yes. But it doesn't matter, I just—I just want to go home."

"Maya," he called, softly, causing Maya to become even more upset. "Please."

"He stood me up, he said he'd rather go to a damned college party than show up for our date." She sobbed, turning her face from him so he didn't see her like this. It was embarrassing showing him her vulnerability.

"I'm so sorry, Maya." He assured, "He doesn't deserve you. You shouldn't be the one sitting here crying while he's the one partying—"

Lucas was cut short as a pair of lips collided against his, silencing him completely. She moved so passionately against his, as he reciprocated with the same energy. Maya felt fireworks erupt in her stomach. Within seconds, the short blonde had climbed over him to straddle him as he had kept his hands respectfully on her hips.

Painfully, he pulled away. "Don't do this to get back at Josh."

Then he had heard words he'd never thought in millions of years he'd ever hear from her.

"I love you, Lucas."