Mistletoe

AN: Hi everyone! I've been reading quite a few fanfics this weekend that follow this pattern and had an idea for a series of AU (Alternative Universe) one shots of different ways L and Grace could have gotten together. After all, Home itself is AU honestly. I'm still working on the sequel but sometimes inspiration hits you and that's that. The first is set at Christmas. It imagines what would be if Grace's father hadn't murdered her family and she never went to live at Wammy's House.  Enjoy!

Prologue

From Chapter 50 of Home:

We parted once more, and L brought his forehead to rest against mine.

"Grace," he whispered with feeling. "How did I find you?"

"Well, I live two doors down from you, so it was rather easy."

The glazed adoration in his eyes diminished and he frowned.

"You're trying your damndest to ruin an honest moment, and I won't let you."

"Oh, shame." I teased with a smile.

"Fine then, how's this? We were meant to find each other. It was fated."

"Mmm, yes, I like that better. Two headstrong people with common purposes and dreams, brought together by serendipity."

"And also being orphaned." I felt the need to point out. "Without that we may have never met at all."

"No," L shook his head and led me to his armchair, placing me in his lap. "I would have found you. I am certain of it. Our paths would have crossed in some way, no matter how long it took. I would not have missed my chance."

"You've truly thought this through!" I remarked, pleased. "I like that you have."

"When it comes to you, there is very little I haven't considered."

Mistletoe

Winchester December 2002

"So here it is! Merry Christmas! Everybody's having fun..."

It was the evening of the annual Christmas party at Wammy's House. I looked forward to it every year. As a child, I had enjoyed having so many other children to play with at my relative's home, as I had grown, I had loved the music and the lights and the sound of one of the Wammy's kids, Omar, playing holiday songs on the piano while others gathered around singing and giggling. This year I was home from university and had arrived with my parents excited but trying not to show it. I was a university girl now, I had to act like one.

That immediately ended as we entered the grand house and saw the dazzling tree luminated in the foyer. "The tree!" I couldn't help but gush. "Mum, Dad the tree!"

My mum smiled knowingly at my father as she took my coat. "Some things never change, do they, Reg?"

My father chuckled, which was a welcome sound to hear. Sometimes when dad's medications needed to be adjusted, he could become so withdrawn, so sad and even suspicious. It could be frightening. It gladdened my heart to see him so well. "Everyone returns to a child at Christmas, my dear."

"Uncle Quil!" My mother exclaimed as my grandfather's cousin, Quillish Wammy joined us, with joy dancing in his eyes.

"Felicity! Reg. My, this can't be little Cassie...has one year of Oxford changed her so significantly?!"

I laughed and gave him a hug. "No, no Uncle Quil, it's me. You've outdone yourself with the tree this year! It's absolutely gorgeous."

"Well indeed I must give credit to the children for it, especially our more artistically inclined ones." He turned and smiled. "Ah, here comes one right now."