9

Michael and I stayed inside and away from windows since then. It was duller and duller by the day. There was less to do and less excitement and today was like many other days. I laid in bed, curled up with the lights off. My eyes open staring into the darkness. 

I had been pushed to the place in my brain where I didn't want to do anything and I didn't want to move. I just wanted to lay here. I was in Michael's bed as it had become common practice. He walked in and sat beside me. He brushed a hand over my hair and I closed my eyes. "Come on." he said standing. 

I was confused, I got up and followed him down the stairs. He walked to the bathroom that already had a light on. There were several tools on the sink. Scissors, a razor, tweezers, different colors of dye and a jar of hair accessories, hair ties and bobby pins. 

"Michael I'm not in the mood to change my look right now. I'm going for moody and sleepless." I said turning around to leave. He caught my hand and shook his head. "For me." he said. My eyes widened. He took a brush and pulled his hair out of the knots and sat on the edge of the tub, looking at me. "Make me unrecognizable." I took a second to process what he just said. "o-okay." I said nervously. 

First I took the scissors and cut his long hair, I made it short and then took the razor and shaved the sides, leaving the top longer. I took the dye and changed his usually mousy brown to a dark burgundy shade, that was maybe the biggest change. Then I took the razor and cut down the bit of beard he had, shaving it away neatly. I took the tweezers and plucked his eyebrows so they were nicely groomed and gave him a pair of glasses, they only had glass in the frames. 

We went upstairs and went through his closet. He had a nice collection of clothes for other the years. I handed him a pair of jeans and a black tshirt. When I turned around to look at him he was a completely different person. The only recollection left was his height and his ever present eyes. 

"Michael, why did you want this?" I asked as he sat on the edge of the bed. "A new start." he said, meeting my eyes. My heart skipped for a second. No one around us knew Michael, they knew the legend but that ended with him being dead, long gone. He turned and grabbed his mask from off the bed. The pulled the scissors from his pocket and began ripping and tearing the mask to shreds. After a few minutes it was nothing but scraps that he littered into the trash can. 

"But what if people have questions?" I asked getting nervous, knowing the dangers. "Here." he said handing me a big envelope. It had a new birth certificate, driver's license, deed to the house, all of it for a man named Mason Anderson. "If anyone asks, I'm your boyfriend from out of state, we bought the house and live here now." a small smile danced on his lips when he saw my eyes light up. "So we can go outside?" I asked, my heart tensing. He stood and grabbed my hand, leading me to the front door. He opened it and walked out. 

We stepped onto the porch and for the first time in years, he let sun hit his skin. "Hey, Kitty!" I heard a voice yell. Aaron walked over and shook Michael's hand, then looked to me. "Aaron, this is my boyfriend, Mason." Michael smiled down at me. Fresh start.