8

It had been another week. Things had fallen into a routine. There was nothing more than day to day tasks being done, nothing exciting and nothing dull just communication and moving around the house. That was until today. 

I woke up with the blinds drawn tighter than they had been and the house seeming extra quiet. I wandered through the house to find Michael at the front door, re-latching everything. "What's going on Michael?" I asked with a timid voice. He seemed frustrated. "I saw a man." he stated vaguely. I turned my head to the side. "Michael we are in a neighborhood. You see people all the time." I chuckled a little bit. 

"But he saw me." he said turning to look at me. I gulped a little bit. Even one person could ruin Michael and I being here, together at least. "Well he didn't see my face I don't think. He saw someone moving inside because he turned and looked at the house, he stopped and stared right at me." 

My heart was beating faster than expected. The house was dark and we were standing in the living room quietly speaking about someone that may or may not be able to ruin everything. That's when someone knocked on the door. Michael grabbed his knife and got ready to open the door when I put my hand on his chest and pushed him back, opening the door a bit, just enough to show myself. "Hello." I said quickly, 

A man stood on the other side, he was walking a small dog. I smiled down at the dog and met the man's eyes. "Hi. My name is Aaron, I'm your new neighbor." he said sticking his hand out. He had a cheery tone to his voice and seemed friendly. I shook his hand with the free one, the other still pressed into Michael's chest on the other side of the door. 

The man smiled at me and took a step back, noticing the slight discomfort on my face. "I thought I saw someone inside. I felt rude not knowing a neighbor." I smiled in return and nodded. "Yeah an old friend told me I could crash here for a while. I try not to bother anyone." I said. He nodded, "I never even knew anyone lived here." he said looking up at the spiderwebs in the porch rafters. "Yeah I don't get out much. I have umm.. a sun allergy." I said looking at my feet. 

"Oh I read about those! That's awful." I nodded, "It gets bad. I have some tea on, I have to go but it was nice meeting you Aaron." I smiled as he returned the goodbye and walked off the porch." I shut the door and locked it all the way up, falling against it and turning to look at Michael. "No more going outside." I breathed out. He nodded.