Chapter Ten

Just like a lot of nights since, Peter woke up with a gasp. His heart was thumping in his ears while leaving a lingering pain in his chest. After realising where he was, still in a tent, still next to MJ, he sighed, pressing his palms into his eyes.

He calmed the rapid rise and fall of his chest before looking over and spotting Michelle who, to his surprise, was already looking at him. Her mouth was tilted into a frown, her book resting neatly on her lap while the dim light of the lamp illuminated her worried features.

"Peter," She whispered. "Are you okay?"

"Why-why are you awake?" Peter cleared his throat after a moment of silence.

"No reason," Michelle shrugged, looking down at her book and running a finger along the spine. "Just couldn't sleep I guess."

Peter knew she was lying, noticing that her eyes were rimmed with red. He turned onto his side, his body now facing her as he reached out a hand and engulfed hers with it. She glanced at him quickly, peering at him through wet eyelashes.

"Wanna talk about it?" He murmured, his voice gentle. MJ stayed silent, lightly chewing on the inside of her cheek. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, Em."

MJ took a deep breath and tilted her head, she opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out. She sighed, squeezing Peter's hand. He tugged on it gently, pulling her to lay down next to him. Michelle obliged, putting her book to the side before shuffling down, their faces in line with each other.

"I was just thinking about my sister," She admitted, sniffing slightly as she adjusted her head on the pillow.

"I'm sorry, MJ," He frowned, his thumb rubbing circles into her hand.

"I don't normally think about her, but it happens occasionally. What were you dreaming about?"

"Space."

"As in-- outer space?" She furrowed her brows.

"Yeah," He nodded. "Long story."

"Sounds like I need to beat up Tony Stark, only he would take you to space."

"Well-- it was my fault, but I wanna see you beat up Mr Stark, so yeah, he took me to space."

MJ laughed slightly and Peter smiled small, watching her eyes crinkle at the sides. He wrapped his other hand around the small of her back, pulling her in closer and letting her rest her head in the crook of his neck.

They both let the silence consume them, covering them like a blanket. Neither minded it, rather, they welcomed it. The only sound was that of their own breathing and heartbeats. Every so often, Peter would press his lips to her head, making Michelle smile to herself.

Having not fully woken up, Peter was the first to fall asleep. MJ followed suit, copying every rise and fall of his chest.

The next morning had a rather abrupt start, they both jumped awake to the sound of the table outside crashing to the ground. Peter thought he was about to explode, his heart about to come bursting out of his chest. When he realised that no one was dying, he sighed and ran a hand through his hair, looking down at MJ who seemed rather annoyed by all the ruckus.

She sat up and pulled a shirt over her head, clambering out of the tent with folded arms.

"What the hell are you two even doing?" Peter could hear her grumble from inside, he could picture the scowl on her face vividly.

"We have to be out of here in an hour," Gwen stated matter of factly, on the border of sounding condescending. Peter knew Michelle would not be happy with her tone of voice. He was right.