Captain's Journal Entry 5

For the next month or so, I have been recuperating, hardly leaving my bed. Barry and Cassidy have been very attentive. Shay had made it a habit now to visit at least twice a week. Sometimes we read our books together. Other days, he dropped off some things from the apothecary to help with the pain. Sometimes he came an extra day a week to help me gain movement of my leg again without my walking stick.

Most of the time, whenever I read my mythology books aloud, he asked me about the tales I read. Perseus and Medusa, the battle against the serpent-haired monster that turned men to stone with a single look. Orpheus's endeavor to retrieve his love, Eurydice from the Underworld, but not allowed to look back at her until he fully exited the Underworld. He didn't hear her footsteps, looked and Eurydice was trapped as a shade forever.

After a few more weeks, I was able to move more easily without my walking stick, but I still keep it within reach.

Shay has been acting a bit unusual lately. Wanting to take me outside. Taking strolls around town. Taking walks outside of town into the woodlands away from the noise into a more serene environment. What was he trying to do now? Charm me? Impress me? Hell, he even showed me his moves from his training as a former Assassin. I have also observed him behaving friendlier than normal. Wanting to be close. The endless compliments, some subtle and some obvious. There's something going on with him that I can't seem to figure out.

Yesterday, I came across Colonel George Monro. Shay introduced us at last. First words out of that man's mouth: "Don't I know you, Miss....?" "Freya. Elizabythe Annabell Freya." His face lit up immediately. He was a good friend to my Father and to me. I told him what had happened to me and he said that he would aid me in my search should he come across James or my ship. I thanked him for his most generous offer to help me and told him it would be a few more weeks before I am able to fully walk about again.

Gist paid us a visit, made a joke about how I don't look white like a ghost anymore. Even he mentioned how striking my blue eyes were. I invited the two men down to my sister's bookstore and library. Gist and Sera got along very well together. Artemis flew in from the window, along with a scroll from my brother.

Dear Ellie,

I apologize for not writing to you in several months. I have been very busy these last few months. Keeping up Father's house, grinding away at work, helping Sera. I heard what happened to Father. I have been trying to track him down for a month now, but to no avail. I haven't sailed since you and Father left. I've been working with Colonel Monro on upkeeping the city and helping its people.

If you wish to see me, I am working at a pub called Blackbeard's Den. Have Sera let me know where you're recovering so that I may visit you at my earliest convenience. Love you, sister. Get well soon.

Your Brother,

Hunter Freya

Shay, Gist and I went to visit him. The bar was somewhat empty. Hunter jumped through the ceiling when he saw my condition. Nearly jumped at Shay until I told him that he was the one that had rescued me. I asked him if he had a bottle of my favorite rum for me and I bought it from him for the 3 of us. Hunter thanked Shay for everything he's doing for me.

Gist asked me why I bought a bottle of rum. I told them that the place I wanted to go did not sell this particular kind.

Turns out it was the bar Shay, Gist and the Colonel had drinks at a month and a half ago. The rum was extremely potent. It was good for 2 things: killing pain and getting someone very drunk very fast.

2 shots in and the two men were wobbling like a top. All they could do was stare at me. I told them just because I am a woman that doesnt mean I cant drink just as much as the men could. Due to my Father's love of the drink, I could outdrink nearly anyone I came across.

Shay knew when to stop. Gist? Not so much. He finished a quarter of my rum along with some ale. Shay had to escort him back to the inn he was staying at. Then Shay helped me to the Finnegan's home. I told him I wasn't about to let him walk back to his room at the inn, drunk and swinging back and forth like he was on his ship.

I tucked myself in, Shay, being the gentleman he was, grabbed a spare blanket and slept on top of mine. Shay passed out well before I did. Cassidy brought up some food to hold me over until morning.

As Shay slept, I saw how peaceful he looked. I played with his ponytail, ran my fingers through his hair and caressed his face. Did not wake up once. Once I had my milk of the poppy along with another 2 shots of rum, I was out like a candle. And to think this all happened just yesterday.

As for Shay's altered behavior, I don't have an answer for yet.

Only time will tell if he will come to terms with his feelings and admit it to me on his own time.