Kapittel en

Do you know what it's like living in the 22nd century? I guessed not. It's probably what you'd call dystopia- a future which you'd never like to happen. Well unfortunately it happened. They took over. The only problem is I don't know what 'they' are. None of us do. They are all oblivious to us. That's why our army are out all day, everyday fighting them. Sometimes people get dragged off the streets to help fight because so many people have been killed by these... things! I don't know what the future holds for us. There's hardly anyone left in the country, and I don't know how many are left elsewhere. Nobody does, but we do know that we're not safe until they are destroyed. Every last one of them. Then we'll be safe, but until then, nothing is possible.

I started my typical day. Morning starts with waking everybody up in the house. Then I make breakfast, using the only resources we have left. Since the invasion, we cannot leave the house freely like we used to. We have to make sure that there have been no invasions for at least a week. We have to make do with vegetables and the produce of our farm animals. They were the first to get attacked. Then they moved on to killing humans. We can't see them, they're invisible, but they can see us. My father joined the army to fight them, but he never came back. I don't know where he is now. Everyday my mother tries to go and look for him, but she is too afraid to leave the house now. She came into the kitchen that morning as I prepared breakfast with the newspaper in her hand. The same newspaper she read everyday. The headline read:
"More recruited as invaders widen" 7th September 2132
I feel sorry for the poor soldiers recruited. They have no idea where they're going and no idea if they are to come back or not. We are unaware of the area of land in which the army are based, but we do know it is where the invaders are most likely to attack. Living now is the most miserable thing to do, there's nothing to do apart from trying to stay alive.

My mother and younger brother ate their breakfast while I got ready to go for a walk, something which I never did, but considering I hadn't heard of any invasions in the area for at least a week, I decided to explore the damage. I told my mother that I was going to check on the animals, but she was more interested in the newspaper. I slipped my trainers on, and put on my hoodie, then hesitantly walked out of the shattered glass door. I breathed in the fresh air and ran into the town. As I ran I saw houses that had been blown up, debris everywhere. Cars that had been turned upside down, trees snapped cleanly in half as if they were a tiny twig. The sun had not shone for weeks, it was grey and dismal. There had been no rain for months. It was like the invaders were controlling the weather somehow.
When I finally reached the town, I was presented with thick smog which made my visibility deteriorate . Through the smog and with little sight left, I saw how severely damaged the town was. Buildings that were charred, some of the roads had melted due to fires. I saw half an aeroplane poking out of a building, and the rest of it scattered in the streets. As I continued through the town, I saw ambulances that were embedded into the tarmac, with their sirens slowly weakening and lights flickering. There was no life left in this, once thriving town. Everyone and everything had gone. Suddenly, I heard a sound of a car driving towards me, except it wasn't a car at all, it was the army truck. As it got closer, it slowed down and eventually stopped in front of me.
"You really shouldn't be out here," said one of the soldiers in the truck.
Not thinking of what to reply with, I shook my head slightly.
"You're not scared are you? Of all of this that's going on?"
"Not really," I lied.
He looked at me curiously, "You're out here all by yourself during an invasion that has killed millions of people, and you're not scared?"
I shook my head again.
"Well then, you wouldn't be interested in joining us to help fight these, you know, things?"
I thought for a minute. I wanted to join so I could maybe see my father, but what if my mother and brother couldn't survive by themselves anymore? I couldn't leave them.
"I'm sorry, sir. No."
Suddenly, a loud crash came from one of the buildings. The truck then tipped aggressively from side to side. The soldiers took their machine guns and started firing. Without thinking, I sprinted through the smog. Loud crashes and explosions came closer and closer, which made me run even faster. Eventually I arrived back at my house, and dove through the shattered glass in the door.
Everything went quiet.