Kapittel sju

The soldiers walked away and I tried to wake Zack up. Giulia pulled all of the wires from the other girl and woke her up. The girl shot up and startled.
"Who are you? What happened?"
Giulia told her to stay calm, "Don't worry, it's just an ID chip."
"For what? Where am I?"
"The military base, you volunteered?"
"No!"
Giulia shook her head and walked over to me, "They've just picked her up. No volunteering, nothing. Just threw her into the truck."
Suddenly my mind went blurry. What if Zack was picked up too? What if he didn't even volunteer and was just thrown into the truck like the other girl?

Giulia walked back over to the girl, "Do you remember your name?"
"Yes, it's Leysa."
"Do you remember how old you are?"
"18."
My head shot up. The minimum age was 20, and I lied about my age, but yet somehow they picked up a child. A child to help fight these monsters.
"I'm only 19." I muttered.
"Excuse me?" Giulia asked, "You volunteered didn't you? You're under the legal age limit. I could report you!"
"But Zack is only 17!"
Giulia stood back, confused and upset. Her head fell into her shaking hands.
"Something's not right here," she sighed, "there is something that we are not being told. Why did I get threatened earlier? I asked a simple question and then got threatened by a commander?"

Suddenly, Max started to shake and cough. I ran over to him and tried to comfort him.
"Max, what's wrong?"
There was a screen that had a picture, of what looked like the cells inside Max's body. Giulia came over and tried to take the wires off, but I stopped her.
"Giulia look," I pointed to the screen, "it looks like something's destroying the cells."
"Is it some sort of radiation?"
"I have no idea," I shook my head in confusion, "we have to find Lister now."

We ran back up to the control room, but Lister had vanished. The screens were flashing red. Small spots appeared like they did in the last attack. It was dark outside, and most of the officers had gone back to their dorms.
"Giulia, is there an alarm you can sound?"
On the wall stood an emergency lockdown alarm. There was no other button to be seen. Giulia elbowed the glass shield and sounded the siren.
"Grab your kit, quick, we're getting out of here."
Shocked and confused, I struggled after Giulia to the weapons room. We grabbed one of every rifle we could, and ran back out to the door, but it wasn't closing, and other soldiers were already running out, firing at the invisible shields once again. I saw a few soldiers get hit with the shields, and disintegrate instantly, one by one.
"Why are we not in lockdown?!" I yelled to Giulia
"I don't know, but we need to hurry. Let's go to the kitchen and grab as much food as we can." Giulia grabbed two backpacks from the wall and threw one to me.
We began to run, but suddenly I remembered Max, Leysa and Zack. We couldn't leave them behind. I pulled Giulia's ponytail back. She screeched, but stopped.
"I'm going to get the others," I said, gasping for breath, "we can't leave them here."
"Okay, meet me back her in 5 minutes, before we get caught!"