Kapittel seks

It took almost an hour to get Max from the hut to the base. When we eventually arrived, we took Max to the medical room, where about five other soldiers would help him recover.
"Giulia," I said, "Lister wants us up in the control room."
"Again?" she sighed sarcastically, "This is the third time I've been called up there in the last two days!"
We trotted up the short staircase to the control room, where Sergeant Lister was waiting for us with the rest of the control team. On the screens, there were several images of all different cities.
"Oh God." sighed Giulia, "They're everywhere."
"We've tried to get in contact with others," replied Lister, "It seems that everywhere has been destroyed."
"Surely there are survivors. There's got to be." asked Giulia
"Within the last week, there has been no communication."
"Should we just go out there and look for them?"
"Miss Bakken do you not understand the consequences of that?! We'd be dead in days!"
"Well we've survived here long enough!"

Suddenly one of the commanders grabbed Giulia by the throat and held a gun to her neck.
"Listen here, just do your job and don't get involved," he yelled into her ear, "Do you understand?"
Giulia hesitated. The commander pushed the gun further into her neck.
"Do you understand?!"
"Yes, sir." she whispered as a tear rolled down her cheek. The gun was released from Giulia's neck and she was pushed into the wall. The commanders and Lister stared as I helped Giulia up and walked her out of the office.
"Are you okay?" I asked as I closed the door.
"Fine," she replied, " I don't believe it, they must know something that we don't. Let's go and see Max, hm?"
I nodded and we walked towards the medical room.

Max lay there in a small bed, hooked up to machines and drifting in and out of consciousness. It was the same room that me and Max had been in only a few days ago. As we walked in, we spotted to other people; a girl and a boy, having their ID injected into them. They weren't that much older than us, and then I suddenly realised something. The boy, it was Zack!
"Zack," I shouted as I ran over to him, "wake up Zack!"
I was stopped by two soldiers holding huge rifles.
"You shouldn't be down here," one said whilst aiming the rifle towards my head.
"But that's my brother, he's the one that shouldn't be here."
"Well he's here now, and won't be going anywhere now."
"What do you mean? Going nowhere?"
The soldier came closer, "Keep your mouth shut! It's none of your business!"