Chapter 4

I woke up with an extreme headache. I had my arm around a sleeping Sapphire and had no clothes on other than underwear. What the hell happened last night, I thought. I looked at my watch. 3:30 A.M. I swore under my breath and looked at Sapphire. Her hair was crazy and she, too, had no clothes on. I carefully moved my arm out from under her head and pulled the covers up to her chest in case someone walked in and saw her later on. I got up from the bed and scrambled around to find my pants, trying to leave as fast as possible without waking Sapphire. I found them and pulled them on clumsily. I couldn't find my shirt in the dark so I just grabbed an old varsity sweater from the closet and threw it on. I grabbed my shoes and walked towards the door. Right when I reached for the handle I heard a murmur from the bed. "Baby...", Sapphire whispered drowsily. I froze. She rustled under the covers a bit and went silent. I breathed a sigh of relief and slowly opened the door and stepped into the dim hallway. I closed the door as softly as possible and tiptoed down the stairs. I looked around for Tom once I was at the bottom of the stairs. There were people past out on the the couches with empty cups in their hands and trash all over the floor. The kitchen light was on, which gave me a little perception of the room. I couldn't see Tom anywhere. I looked in the kitchen, stepping over people and avoiding puke stains on the floor. He wasn't in there either. I walked out the backdoor. Not out there. I made my way back upstairs checking all the rooms, accidentally walking in on a couple having sex and then backing out of the room before they noticed. Ew, I thought. That wasn't pretty. Dammit, not upstairs. I looked out the window and saw why I wasn't seeing him inside. He wasn't even here. His black Honda wasn't outside parked in the street, where it was when we got here."Fuck.", I whispered under my breath. I ran my hands through my hair. I didn't know what to do. Our dorm was on the other side of campus only a 30 minute walk but it was after curfew and the campus truancy officer was bound to be out looking for troublemakers. I pulled my cellphone out of my pocket. Dead. I had no choice but to go back upstairs and sleep, which meant dealing with Sapphire, or walk to our dorm and risk being caught past curfew. I sighed. Why'd I let Tom talk me into coming, I thought.