Chapter 7

"Sage, this is crazy", Tom whispered as we crunched across the frozen leaves on the ground, "we'll get caught for sure. I don't think there are any vampires in the U.S. Isn't that Transylvania? Pennsylvania? I don't fucking know but there are no vampires here man.". I ignored him and kept panning the flashlight around, searching for the clearing where I saw Aaron murdered just an hour before. The moon was high and the temperature low. "Damn, it's cold out here!", Tom said frustrated, wrapping his arms around himself. "Quit your whining, pussy.", I said, not looking back to see his reaction. "Sage. Sage, hey, are you listening? Why the hell are we out here man? Even if you're right, and that thing killed Aaron, then why are we trying to find it?", he nagged. "Because...", I mumbled, not paying attention to him. "There!", I exclaimed, "The clearing!". I ran forward before Tom could say anything else, dashing into the clearing and looking around with wild eyes. "Sage! Wait up, man.", Tom called from behind me. He walked into the clearing nonchalantly. "There's nothing here.", he said, looking around with his hands in his pocket. I looked down at the dead leaves. Something glinted in the moon and caught my eye. Blood. It was spattered across the clearing in little drops. "Tom. Look.", I said crouching down to examine the crimson pin points. "Whoa. Is that Aaron's?", he asked picking up a leaf with a red dot on it. "No...no I don't think so. The vamp-", I paused, "the murderer snapped his neck, there was no blood spilled. I didn't see what it did to the girl he was with.", I looked up at the tree that Aaron shoved her against. Right in the middle of the trunk was a streak of blood, about the size of a hand. It dripped on the ground where a trail found it's way behind a shrub. Tom and I both saw it at the same time and looked at each other. He shook his head, his bottom lip quivering for an instant. He walked, ever so slowly, to the bush, pulling it to the side. There in the dirt lay the pale dead bodies of Aaron and Amber. They were lying face up, their eyes open and distant. Their skin was porcelain and most likely cold to the touch. Tom backed away with an expression of absolute horror. His jaw dropped and his eyes widened as he gazed upon the bodies. "What the hell?" he whispered slowly, backing away. My face remained stern. I saw something peculiar on Aaron's neck. Two tiny red dots a couple centimeters apart from each other. I stepped over him and looked at Amber's neck to see the same thing. I turned to Tom, only to see that he wasn't there. "Tom!", I called out, cupping my hands around my mouth. I walked to the edge of the clearing where we came in. He was leaned over, his hands on his knees, retching and vomiting. I ran my hands through my hair and sighed. "I told you man. I'm not fucking crazy.", I said, sitting down and putting my head in my hands. "Did- did you see that!? They were...they were white Sage, WHITE. They're dead! Oh my god they're fucking dead!", he cried hysterically, tears streaking down his face. He leaned back over and vomited once again. "I know Tom. I SAW it happen!", I said looking up at him. "He snapped Aaron's neck with a flick of his god damn wrist!", I continued, my voice getting louder with each word. "I...I'm sorry, man. I believe you now, I do.", he pleaded between wiping his eyes and then his mouth. My face softened. It was kind of a hard story to believe, especially when your piss drunk like I'm sure he is. "I'm sorry, Tom. For yelling at you, I mean.", I apologized. "It's fine, let's just get the hell out of here.", he said looking around. "Good idea.", I said, walking in the direction we came from and being very sure not to look back.