Chapter 18

Jackson

Grace was out of breath as I opened my front door. She’d been pounding on the wood like a madwoman, and when caught sight of her, she even looked the part.

“Hi,” she said, her breaths heaving in and out.

“Hi,” I replied.

“Can I come in?”

I stepped to the side, allowing her access.

She began to pace the living room, and I could almost feel how crazed her mind had to be. Her steps were quick and erratic, her mind spinning fast.

“What is it?” I asked her.

“I need you to sleep with me,” she blurted out.

“What?”

“I said I need you to—”

“No, I heard you.”

“Then why did you say what?”

“Because even though I heard you, it just seemed so damn ridiculous.” I raised an eyebrow. “Are you drunk?”

“Nope, and I’m thinking straight for the first time in a while.”

“And thinking straight means wanting to sleep with me?”

“Yes.”

I kept my eyebrow raised. “Are you drunk?” I repeated, and she began to blush.

“No, Jackson. Come on, I’m serious.”

I leaned against the wall and crossed my arms. “Who pissed you off?”

She kept pacing. “It doesn’t matter. All I need to know is if you’ll have sex with me or not.”

“Princess—”

I’m not a princess!” she snapped, pausing her steps. She looked my way, and her stare was heavy as she released a weighted sigh. “I’m tired of this. I’m tired of being the princess, the good girl, the girl next door. I’ve been that all my life, and it’s gotten me nowhere. It’s gotten me nothing.”

“So the next step, obviously, is sleeping with me,” I joked. She walked over and stood in front of me.

“Yes.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because you’re the exact opposite of good.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment.”

A smirked lifted the corner of her mouth. “I knew you would.”

“Grace, you don’t want to do this…” I warned as she moved closer.

“Yes, I do.”

“People in town say I’m dangerous, and they aren’t wrong. I’m unstable sometimes, lashing out without warning.”

“That doesn’t scare me. Besides…” Her steps moved her closer until we were standing inches apart. My back was still resting against the wall, and her breaths were coming faster and faster with each second. “Maybe I need a little danger in my life.”

Her hand brushed against my neck, and I closed my eyes as the feel of her fingertips danced across my skin.

“You’ll regret it,” I promised her.

She lightly snickered in disbelief. “Do you ever regret sex?”

I opened my eyes and burned my stare into her blues.