Chapter 3

Blade's POV:

      I groaned as I plopped down in bad with a massive headache. What was going on ? I cringed as my wrist burned like it was on fire. I looked down an expected to see it red or something, but nothing was there. It looked normal.

       I looked around the room in confusion and then it clicked. If I'm not getting physically injured that means my mate is. I hopped of the bed at the thought of her being hurt and jumped out the window shifting into my dark wolf in midair.

    As much as I didn't want to like her or care about her, I just couldn't help myself. I had gotten my car fixed three days ago , but I continued to take the bus just so I could see her. Which sounds utterly ridiculous and stalkerish considering I didn't want a mate, at least not yet.

    I closed my eyes as I breathed in the smell of the forest. I turned right following her scent to her house. I stopped once I heard her muffled scream. I took off as fast as my paws could take me at the sound of her scream. 

      What was she doing in the middle of the forest?

          I  stopped at the edge of the trees as she came into view in the middle of the small field. I growled as I saw a man beside her. I was about to walk out of the trees and kill this man until I realized that he wasn't hurting Renee, he was helping her. 

     Confused, I looked between the man and Renee, who was still laying on the ground , her small frame shaking lightly. They both had similar features, theres noses had the same curve in them, both had blue eyes, and heart-shaped faces. 

       I mentally slapped myself for comparing the two at a time like this. There my mate was hurting in pain while I sat there and evaluated their similar features. Sometimes I can be just so stupid. I looked back at Lydia on the ground and cringed as her arm flung in an unnatural way and she screamed out.

         She was shifting for the first time.

         I instantly started backing away. She couldn't see me or she would know I was her mate. I didn't want to reject her because I didn't want to hurt her, but at the same time I did not want a mate at all. If it came down to her finding out though, I would reject her.

      I sat, hidden behind a bush as I watched her shift take place. I had been sitting here for over an hour as I watched her scream in pain, I felt so hopeless because all I wanted to do was help her and I couldn't.

       I looked up as the screaming finally subsided and was shocked to see that where Renee's body use to lay was now replaced with a  small white wolf. Her white shimmered in the moonlight as her blue eyes searched the forest tree line. Her paws where painted with black, making her look like she had black socks on.

          She was truly breath-taking in her wolf form.

         My breathing stopped as her eyes landed on mine. Her eyes widened in shock as she immediately began to walk towards me curiously. Her brother began to hold her back looking around confused until he spotted my wolf form. He began to growl, probably thinking I was some rogue and I knew it was my cue to leave. 

       I turned around , glancing back one last time at her pleading eyes for me to stay. I shook my head at her and then took off into the dark night heading back home as her bark echoed through the forest, calling for me.

          I had just turned my back on my mate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Renee's POV:

       Last night had been the worst night of my life. I had never experienced anything more painful than shifting for my first time. Derek promised me that after the first time it wouldn't hurt nearly as bad, but I can promise you I wasn't going to shift for a long time.