Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Damien Gray

I went back to third period, and the rest of the class went by in a blur. Will tried talking to me a few times, but his conversation wasn't enough to make me snap out of it.

By the time the bell rang, I was feeling pissed off with Emilia and her psychotic ideas.

"Damien!" Emilia called out once she spotted me.

It took her only a few seconds to make her way through the crowd.

"I hadn't seen you all morning."

She wrapped her arms around my neck as she said this. Even though I tried to remain standing still, it was a reflex to lower myself so that she'd be able to reach me.

"You weren't here," I said.

"I know, I've had a busy morning," she replied.

Instead of interlacing her hand with mine like she usually did, she wrapped her arm around my side.

"Do you think you can come over after school?" Emilia asked on the way.

She was trying to look normal, which was what made me realize that she was nervous about something.

"Are you hungry?"

"Not really," she replied, shaking her head.

"Come," I said, pulling away from her and making my way to the library.

She followed along, trying to catch up to me. With the people surrounding us and how much faster I was walking, it seemed like she was struggling to keep up.

"You look mad," she told me right after we reached the stacks.

I could hear her heart beat pick up. I couldn't say mine wasn't also beating erratically, because it was.

"Where were you this morning?"

"I was at home. My dad and I, we were talking," Emilia told me.

Now that I had her in front of me, I noticed that her face looked smooth and flawless. The bruise from yesterday was gone.

"Talking about what?"

"About us," she replied, looking at me with a hopeful expression.

Why she looked so happy all of a sudden, I couldn't really guess. It probably had to do with her wanting to get pregnant for some inexplicable reason.

"Do you realize that we're not seventeen yet? You and your father have some ideas about our relationship that aren't right."

Emilia grimaced at my words, and it was making me feel uncomfortable. I was sure it was the bond between us that was clouding my judgment.

"What do you mean?

"I think you know," I told her, crossing my arms and raising an eyebrow at her.

I was hoping she wouldn't pretend she was clueless.

"I don't, why don't you tell me," she said, trying and failing to sound nonchalant.

"Sebastian overheard you and your friend talking this morning," I said with a steady voice.

I was hoping that Sebastian had been wrong, or that he'd been lying to me. Emilia's reaction made it so clear that it was all true.

"Where was Sebastian? I was sure there was no one around," Emilia whispered, taking a step closer to me. When she did, I pulled away.