Chapter Four: Nico

Epitome: a noun that describes a person or thing that is a perfect example of a particular quality or type. When I said December nearly was the epitome of heaven on earth, unfortunately I must heavily emphasize the word "nearly." The final month of the year was going perfectly fine until that one afternoon that changed my life forever.
"Fiona, sit down. We all have to talk." I took a seat on the empty mahogany bench beside my sister. My dad looked into my soft hazel eyes he passed down to me. "I don't really know how else to say this, Piper and Nico were already with me and mom when we found out." A droplet of salt rolled down my cheek, terrified as to what I may find out. My mother shuddered before taking over.
"We've been worried about Nico, he hadn't been acting right. So me and your father took him to a doctor a few months ago and we didn't tell you because you were so happy, we couldn't ruin that for you." A doctor? What kind of doctor? My mother answered my unspoken question with a few words that replayed in my head over and over.
"They found a tumor in his brain. It's not serious yet, but they're treating it and they're going to do whatever it takes." I bit my bottom lip raw. My own little brother who plays with legos and still drinks apple juice from a sippy cup although he's outgrown them is potentially on death row. How could they not tell me sooner?
I fled upstairs and slammed the door shut, burying my face into my pillow and thinking, "It's just a dream, it's just a dream. You'll wake up soon, it's only just a dream."
———————————————————————
Had to do it to ya folks, press F to pay respects. Sorry this isn't a long chapter, it was only meant to emphasize Nico getting sick and nothing else.