Chapter 4

"Sir," Jarvis' voice pulled Tony out of his semi-sleep at his desk. "You have an incoming message."

Tony grumbled slightly, "Fury?" He questioned straightening his sore shoulders.

"No sir, it appears to be the cult leader known as the Examiner."

"Put it through and trace it." Tony said suddenly awake.

The screen in front of him clicked on.

"Ah, hello Mr Stark." The Examiner said, smiling through the screen. He could see Steve in the background. His head was laying on his chest. He was hanging from his wrists, both legs bent under the weight. And he was covered in blood.

"What do you want?" He hissed at the screen. There was no response. "J?"

"It appears it is a one-sided message. It is live, but you can not converse."

Steve was staring at the camera now, confusion lacing his features. Tony could now see the blood covering his face and the way his friend was gasping, like oxygen, was something precious he wasn't use to. It made Tony sick.

"I believe you will be quite relieved, " the madman continued, "to know that your little plan worked. Some of the countering agents you suggested have been quite useful in combating the serum." Tony's eyes widened in shock.

"Jarvis?" He breathed. If what he suspected was true...

"I will run full diagnostics on all files pertaining to the Super Soldier Serum." The AI promised.

"As you can see he is quite docile at the moment."

"You're a liar," Steve's voice barely made it through the speaker.

Tony felt a small amount of relief at the voice. Whatever had been done to the soldier's voice wasn't permanent. And he still believed in Tony. The inventor allowed himself a small smile. 

"Ah, always looking for the best in people. I assure you, in this case, your trust is misplaced. Tony here informed me your little mission here. He told me how to capture you and what to do once I had you. He's been pulling the strings the whole time."

"No,"

"Yes, he was tired of your constant heroics, 'it would be better if he just died. Then at least he'd stay out of my business,' was the exact quote if I'm not mistaken."

A look of recognition and hurt crossed Steve's face. But, only Clint and Bruce had been there. How...

"Jarvis, where was Cap when... You know."

"He was in the adjoining room, Sir."

He heard the whole thing. Steve heard every cruel, drunken word.

"You see Captain, it's better if you just accept it now."

Steve's head fell back against his chest, defeated. Tony thought he might throw up.

"Today was just for my amusement, " the madman continued, "tomorrow we shall start on the agreed on experiments. Until tomorrow," There was a small wave before the screen clicked off.

Tony collapsed further into his chair. Steve had only been gone for twenty-four hour and they had already counteracted the serum and beaten him severely. And tomorrow they were going to start full experimentation. They had to get him back. He needed to find the base yesterday. As it was, there was little he could do but sit and wait.

~A~

"Sir, the Avenger's are requiring your presence upstairs."