5

"Okay, now you try."

Hanji passed the blue marker to Daeul who sat next to her on the ground by the short round table.

They had spent her first two weeks in his playroom where she mainly taught him how to draw, and oftentimes read to him which was one of his favourite activities. At the moment, she had shown him how to draw star and passed him the marker and paper filled with scribbles.

He took the marker in his hand and held it as if it were a stick, abusing the white piece of paper in front of him which wiggled as he drew on it.

She smiled at his efforts and placed her hand on the edge of the paper to hold it still, making it easier for him. She guided his small fist in drawing the lines at the right angle to create the best star he could, and once he was finished he held it up in the air and squealed in excitement.

"Good job, Daeul! Now let's add it to your shapes book.", she stood from the ground and approached the cubby on the opposite wall, grabbing a small blue binder with a title that read, "Daeul's Shapes".

She brought it over to the table and took her seat next to him once more as she displayed the book in front of him. Opening it, she was greeted with a cover-page which Daeul had coloured, himself. Each page was covered with different sizes and colours of the same shape, the first being a circle which always seemed to give her slight Trypophobia.

She opened one of the empty sealed pages and placed the paper filled with stars in it, making the young boy clap his hands in accomplishment.

Hanji looked at the clock, 4:55, it read. Her shift would end in five minutes and her bus would arrive in ten.

As she began to pack up, someone knocked at the open door.

"Are you joining us for dinner, Hanji?", it was Missus Chae. She dried her hands with the cloth she held, tilting her head.

"Oh, no thank you. My bus'll get here in a few minutes.", she politely refused.

"Are you sure? Mister Kwon had asked me to request that you stay -- he's on his way home.", the older woman explained with what seemed to be a small grin on her face.

Damn it, Hanji thought to herself. It was already the end of the week and she wanted nothing more than to head home and watch a movie with Minji.

"He-He's coming home early?"

"He wanted to discuss a few matters with you.", Missus Chae said before she turned away and headed back to the kitchen.

4:57, the clock now read. She could still leave. But she could stay and show her respect for her employer despite having gotten off on the wrong foot.

So she packed up Daeul's belongings, placed them in the right places, led the boy to the dining room and texted her sister a short explanation saying she would return home later than usual that evening.

~

They both patiently waited for his arrival. Well, she was a little more patient than the boy next to her whom she had to entertain with shadow puppets.

"밥/bap/rice!", Daeul called out.

"Daeul, you can't eat until your dad comes home remember?", Hanji explained to him as she lightly stroked his hair. He squinted in annoyance, not completely understanding but held back from saying more.

"Dinner's not even completely ready yet, Daeul.", Missus Chae explained to him to get him to stop sulking. It's true dinner wasn't ready -- the kitchen always ensured they evened out their time so that Hyuk needn't wait for his food but that it was also always served warm.