14

long chapter ahead sos

--

Two months passed by quickly after the incident -- two months of police checks and visits, doctor's appointments and physiotherapy for the young Daeul's broken leg. Hanji suffered a shot taken on her left arm just before the police officer shot the unknown man in the leg.

Hyuk had taken time off work and allowed Jiho to take over the studio for the time being while he watched over his son and subtly, Hanji.

She stayed home with Minji for a week before realizing how much she had missed the little boy before quickly returning to work. Their days went by calmly and smoothly, meals spent together felt like tag-team -- Hanji struggling with one arm in a cast as she fed herself and Daeul, Hyuk stepping in to help her out and discard his own food.

Missus Chae often helped with Daeul's baths but when she couldn't, the boy's father would offer his help. They sat on stools by the bathtub as they carefully avoided getting water on Daeul's cast.

They weren't miserable, however. For once in his son's life, Hyuk felt he had finally contributed something to him. Perhaps it was Hanji's words that convinced him.

"How does it feel?"

She wiggled her left fingers playfully in front of Hyuk and Daeul signifying that she was alright after having her brace removed, though a scar still remained on her shoulder. Daeul had his cast removed on the same day but still had to attend therapy in order to avoid a permanent limp.

"Thankfully, I'm not left-handed.", she joked earning a smile from Hyuk.

They sat on the carpet in Daeul's playroom as he continued to press leaves into his scrapbook. November had began and Hyuk would turn thirty-one in two days. He planned to return to work after his birthday and spend more time there before the New Year.

"Hanji, we never got to celebrate your birthday.", he suddenly said.

Turning her attention to him, Hanji widened her eyes slightly. "I-I celebrated with my family..."

"Do you perhaps want to celebrate with us? W-We can have dinner on Sunday night -- celebrate both our birthdays.", he said with a soft smile, something she began to see on him quite often these days.

Both our birthdays? She didn't want to take attention from him. Not especially since it was mainly his.

"Let Minji know. I'll send her the address."

~

Sitting on the coffee table was a small black paper bag with white gift wrapping tissue peeping out from the inside. Next to it resided a note:

hey, paperdoll :)

this was left outside for you

sis.

Hanji carefully pulled the tissue out and reached inside to pull out a maroon box designed with a silver ribbon wrapping around it. Along its bottom was taped a white card reading,

Hanji,

Many thanks for all that you do for our family.

Happiest 27th birthday.

Kwon Hyuk

She bit her bottom lip playfully as a smile crept upon her face. The familiar writing and name made her feel warm and almost jitty on the inside as she carefully opened the maroon box. She was greeted with a silver necklace -- the simple figure of a circle placed on top of a triangle outlined with small diamonds.