18

eighteen months later

Hanji's job as curator in Manchester not only allowed her chances in separate campaigns but even let her write and publish a book of her own, one which narrated the life of England's most well-known king.

She spent seven months writing it along with conducting research and compiling evidence analyzed by other historians, enough to finally publish it in the summer with the title of The Body of Henry VIII -- specifically focusing on the last few years of his life and what may have led up to his death.

Sitting by a small foldable table in a nearby library, she gracefully signed copies of the book for readers lined up in front of her.

"Thank you for coming!", she cheered as she gave the reader back his book before she dropped her pen to the ground.

As she bent to pick it up, her eyes caught a glimpse of an all-too-familiar stuffed animal.

Eppe?

"H-Hanji?"

Her eyes slowly trailed to the owner of the voice who spoke her name, and lo and behold stood Kwon Daeul whom she had instantly recognized.

Only this time he was bigger and taller, beginning to look a little less like his father and more like his birth mom which made her feel a sort of sorrow inside her but she knew she would still love him the same.

"D-Daeul? W-What are...", she spoke softly, as she placed her hands on his small shoulders which he was quick to accept as he pulled himself in for a soft hug.

She sighed heavily, closing her eyes and embracing the warmth radiating off of him.

Then she realized that if Daeul was here then someone else was.

"W-Where's your..."

Her eyes now open, her attention was brought to the pair of black dress shoes making their way to her and the not-so-small boy anymore.

When she brought her eyes to the owner of the shoes, she held her mouth agape as her hold on Daeul loosened.

There stood Kwon Hyuk dressed in one of her favourite outfits on him -- the gray blazer on top of a solid shirt and black pants with the once-intimidating pointy shoes.

"Care to sign one more book?", he said as he held the novel in his hand.

She scoffed lightly before picking Daeul up and pulling both the child and his dad into a shared hug. They laughed warmly, Hyuk's arms wrapped around the most important people in his life as Hanji placed a soft peck on his cheek.

"What're you doing here?"

"Well, I couldn't miss out on your first signing.", he chuckled as he pulled her closer by the waist before planting a kiss on her forehead.

"Are you free tonight?"

~

They had spent the past year and a half together through video calls and text messages, trying to balance the time differences and their schedules. She watched Daeul slowly grow up and Hyuk made sure that he remembered her even through a screen.

Hanji had brought them to her favourite spot for dinner whenever she felt like treating herself and there they sat as a complete family among other diners.

At one point, Hyuk had scooted closer to Daeul, passing him something under the table which Hanji became playfully suspicious to.

"Give this to Hanji."

Daeul carefully held the small brown box with both hands and passed it to Hanji, saying, "It's from me and dad...but mainly him.", making Hyuk chuckle in embarrassment.

Hanji laughed softly before taking the box from him and patting his head. When she opened it, an even smaller box resided inside and something inside her instantly knew what it was.

"...Dad was wondering...", Daeul shyly began as he played with his fingers, Hanji beginning to slowly open the gift.

And there rested a small diamond ring which glistened even more when she tilted it to the white lights above them.

She held her mouth slightly agape, looking over at Hyuk who smiled warmly but kept his nervousness to a composure.

"W-What is dad wondering, Daeul?", Hanji teased with now a tight smile on her face.

"He was wondering if you would...w-what's the word?", the boy turned to his father who only smiled and patted his head before turning his attention back to the woman on the other side of him.

"W-Will you?"

They shared the first long gaze after months and Hanji smiled warmly before slowly nodding her head, causing Hyuk to exhale in relief before standing up to place the ring on her finger.

They both chuckled loudly as they stood together before sharing a quick kiss. Pulling Daeul into a hug, Hyuk held them both tightly with a warm feeling inside him knowing that his family is now complete.

--

see the next part to read hanji's letter!

thank you for reading!