five

The chains.

The slight creaking of the metal every times her body swings back and forth.

Everything about her is horrifying.

My hand goes over my mouth as I scream, screwing my eyes shut and trying to force the image out of my mind even though I know it's useless.

The image of the girls body, strung up by a chain-made noose, will never leave my head.

The terror comes without warning, and I jerk myself back, flattening against the nearest wall. Luke just stands there, staring at her, as if trying to figure out what to think. Then he shakes his head, backing up slowly, until his back hits the wall next to me and he covers his mouth with his hands. A massive amount of horror continues to surround me, and it isn't until circulation has returned to my clenched fists that I decide to get up and make sure I'm not hallucinating.

My shaking legs stop just outside the door, and I quickly glance at her one more time before stumbling back to the wall again.

An old, ripped floral dress swallows her fleshless body, her mangled blonde hair falling out of her exposed scalp. From what I can tell, she looks about 10, her little arms swinging back and forth rhythmically. Even when I'm pressed against the wall 15 feet from the door, I can still hear the dull creaking of the rusty chains as her body sways in the darkness.

I attempt to speak, but no words come out. I am so consumed with horror that I can hardly move. A slight pounding in the back of my head tells me something is seriously wrong. I barely manage to turn my head towards Luke before everything spins and my mind leaves my body.

"Mommy?" I call, walking through the endless hallway. She told me she would be here in my dream. She told me she would play with me. Daddy came into my room last night and said that she was gone, that the place where she was made a mistake, but I know better. So I came here, like she said, so she can play with me. Mommy is always right.

"Yes, my sweet?" Her voice comes from behind me, a smile spreading across my cheeks.

I turn to face her, and she is as beautiful as ever. She wipes some of her dark hair off of her scarred face and gives me a crooked smile, "Are you ready to play?"

"Yes mommy."

Her cold hands cup my cheeks, her black eyes staring into mine. "We can finally be together Emily. Forever. Would you like that?"

I nod quietly as she takes my hand, leading me down the hall into a white room. Her crimson stained gown glistens beautifully, almost like her cloudy form.

"Mommy, what is this place?"

"Don't worry angel." She murmurs, ignoring my question. "It's not important. Now, close your eyes. I have something for you. It's a necklace!"

I do as I am told, and I soon feel cold metal chill the back of my neck. Various clanging sounds fill my ears, and I frown. What does this have to do with playing? "That's it sweety, now take my hand." I open my eyes to see her crooked smile, something shiny tightly gripped in her palm "We are going to bounce."

I grin, "Okay."

And with that, my feet leave the floor.

My eyes shoot open, my head thrashing from side to side. I gasp for air, staring at Luke as he sits in front of me, shaking me frantically. "Mackenzie, wake up. Mackenzie. We have to get out of here."

"Wh-"

"Come on."

He pulls me up and practically drags me down the hall, glancing back at the girl briefly with pure terror in his eyes. He takes me towards what seem to be another large room. I'm extremely dizzy, and I end up falling on the ground when we reach it.