twenty seven

I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE IF THIS IS BORING AF

•••

Calum's behind the nurse and through the door within five seconds.

I follow him without even thinking, ignoring the loud remarks from the nurse to come back. We walk down the hallway, passing doors after doors of rooms and offices. I look in every single one, but most are filled with doctors or old people.

It's not until we venture into another area, obviously the critical care unit, that someone grabs me by the wrist and jerks me backward.

"Mam, you're not allowed back here."

"Let go of me." I growl through gritted teeth. I look behind me to see an older nurse with an angry expression on her face. I try to pull out of her grip, but for an old lady, she's pretty strong. Calum's obviously been stopped too, I can hear him struggling in front of me.

"You aren't allowed back here, miss." She says again, pulling me backward. Whoever has Calum shoves him into my side.

"I don't care."

"Don't make me call s-"

"NO HE'S STILL THERE YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO ME PLEASE-"

The muffled screams are coming from behind a door not even 15 feet away. My whole body tenses up, and Calum freezes. That voice is painfully familiar. Mack.

"WHERES LUKE?! LET ME GO I'M NOT CRAZY PLEASE-"

Calum must be thinking the same thing, because he jerks out of our restrainers and runs straight for the source of the sound.

I attempt to follow him, but the lady still has an iron grip on my wrist. She calls for security as the nurse that had Calum rushes to catch him. Alas, Calum reaches the door before she can catch him, and his reaction sets me off.

Calum starts banging on the door, screaming Mack's name, until the security guards arrive and grab him from behind, ripping him off of it. By now I've managed to escape the old nurses grip and I'm running towards him, but I only get a glimpse through the small window before I'm jerked backward and drug away with Calum.

There is no way.

No way that the screaming, writhing girl being held down by at least five doctors could be my best friend.

Right?

The guards drag us back out into the waiting room, where the others are anxiously talking to the lady. Ashton shoots me a look, but I ignore it, intent on keeping myself from punching one of the stupid security in the face.

Mack

No no no oh god.

I only get a glimpse of Calum, but then he vanishes and there's a needle in my arm and I'm already gone.

Ally

"You will be able to see her shortly. She's experiencing some trauma right now, but the doctors are giving her some drugs to calm her down. She-"

"Bullshit." Calum snarls at the woman. "I just saw her, they aren't trying to calm her down, they're freaking restraining her-"

"We have the situation under control, sir. Calm down."

"What kind of hospital is this?!"

The lady looks taken aback for a moment. She looks away from Calum, back to Mack's mom, jaw tight.

"I will be right back."

With that, she disappears behind the door again.

"Cal, what the hell?" Ashton says, looking at him incredulously.