Chapter 27

"That... was the most badass thing I've ever seen," Arisse said, a shocked smile on her face.

"I've had enough of people like that," Kath mumbled, but she cracked a smile when DJ pecked her cheek and the three of them started to eat their lunches together, feeling eyes on them from other students. The news of Kath's pregnancy was out already and they'd only known themselves for twenty-four hours.

"I'm proud of you, babe." He whispered, making Kath smile softly and they shared a quick kiss.

"How did it go with JC?" Kath asked, desperate to talk about anything else. She was starting to regret what she'd done already, able to guess that there would be consequences for her doing that to one of the most popular girls in school.

"I don't know... he seems to be trying, I'm just... struggling to trust him," DJ admitted.

"But you have the added bonus of living together, so you can work on it," Arisse said with a smile and DJ took in a deep breath as he nodded his head, but he turned to Kath, a hand on her thigh and he gave it a gentle squeeze.

"I thought about what we talked about earlier," DJ said and Kath's eyebrows creased together in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"About my Dad... and I think Arisse is right. I have to talk to him, I have to... get him back in my life - if he still isn't sober after all this time, I'll cut him out of my life entirely but I'll take action to get the money because I want us to have a house together. I don't want you to even have to consider sleeping on a couch for the rest of your life whilst looking after an infant at the same time, or struggling with the stairs when the elevator is out of service... no, I want our baby to come home to a nice house - a real family place and if we put our money together and have a smaller mortgage, we'll be able to afford a nice place for the three of us." DJ said with a small hint of a smile and Kath cracked a smile too.

"I'm proud of you... not just about the money, but to see your Dad. I know it's gonna take a lot for you to do that." Kath breathed, Arisse nodding in agreement.

"I'll still be the first choice for babysitting duties, right?" Arisse asked, smiling when it made both DJ and Kath laugh.

"Dude, I'll be calling you at two o'clock in the morning to come over and change diapers," DJ assured her, Arisse faking a cheer. Kath smiled at the two of them, but she couldn't help but look around her every now and then - she'd been bullied for long enough in her life to know to expect something for what she'd done to Miles.

=

The rest of the school day went by slowly, with DJ and Kath getting stared at wherever they went and they were already getting used to them starting to whisper whenever they thought neither of them was looking. The news of the baby seemed to have made it to the entire school since as by their last class, even the teacher was looking at them differently.

"I'm meeting JC in the library to work on that dumb Biology assignment," DJ complained at the end of their last class and Kath shook her head.

"It's fine, I'd rather you spend time with your brother. Call me later when you're home?"

"Of course." He vowed, kissing her lips softly and Kath kissed him back for a moment before slowly pulling away from him.

"I'll see if I can find Arisse - have some girlie time with Kaye," Kath said, swinging her backpack over her shoulder and DJ chuckled, walking out of the classroom with her.

"Sounds thrilling. I'll call you later - love you."

"I love you too." She said, the two of them sharing a quick kiss before going their separate ways - DJ heading towards the library and Kath walked towards her locker, pulling her phone out of her pocket to text Arisse but she yelped when she felt hands on her arms dragging her back the way she came. "Get off me!" Kath struggled, recognizing the football team surrounding her as well as the cheerleading team - it was two members of the football team who were dragging her.

"Payback is a bitch, freak," Miles growled and Kath yelled out as the two guys lifted her up to stop her being able to struggle. Tears were instantly streaming down her face as she was carried through the Gym, panic set in when they made it to the side of the pool.

"Please! Please, don't-" Kath begged desperately.

"You need to be put in your place, freak... I always win." Miles growled, watching as the two guys threw her into the diving pool - the deepest part of the swimming pool. Her smirk dropped after a moment when Kath didn't break the surface of the water.

"Why isn't she coming up?!" One of the guys exclaimed, panicking too.

"She's just being dramatic." Miles choked out, but she followed everybody else's lead in running out of the Gym in a pure panic - leaving Kath under the water.

===