Tandem

chapter 11

Estelle

seeing someone from tandem for the first time is so strange. they look like us. almost. we have darker skin and hair. but something about his face seemed so familiar, so, human. was this the jumper we were hoping for?

i have no time to ask all these silly questions. he has seen me and he has escaped. i have to find the group. if he is the jumper we were hoping for, then we must help him. his injuries looked severe and he was losing a lot of blood.

i try to focus on sneaking through the forest undetected but since the jumper heard me, my skills have been a little... off... but regardless i must focus. the thing is, i cant. all i can focus on is him. how odd yet familiar he looked. how he was so courageous enough to speak to me. how he would've helped me had i been a jumper like him. this is exciting and important news that the others will be happy to hear. "donami," i say as i finish a quick prayer. It means thank you in old speak. this could be what we've waited for.

its very late and dark, but I know the sun will rise soon, and the fireflies are already retreating to the forest. i know i must hurry back. the jumper will be active soon and we must not lose him.

Then, just as fast as the moment had happened, it was gone. lost to this world like so many other things. the moment had disappeared, as do i, into the forest until night when we re-enact our plan.